Quinoa Chicken Stew

25 January 2012

quinoa chicken stew
I’ve been happily living on soup for the last month.  Some of my concoctions are more like stews but regardless, this time of year, I relish every drop of fiery goodness.  I’ve been known to make a big pot of soup and enjoy it for breakfast, lunch AND dinner- all by myself!
It’s no wonder all my clothes are feeling just little less snug these days.  A “win-win,” won’t you agree? (smile)
I’ve been doing really well with my resolve to eat less processed food and more fruits and veggies.  I’m still carrying on a love affair with kale and there’s no end in sight.  In fact, it’s become my new broccoli.  Every once in a while, I get a craving for a new leafy green and I tend to obsess about it for a month or so.  Broccoli or broccoli rabe has always been a favorite but lately, kale has taken the place of my beloved broccoli.  Hey, it’s better than having an obsession with let’s say… french fries, right? (smile) 
Kale is SO good for you, too!  Anyway, back to the chicken stew... 
I’ve been making this one for years.  Wait, I may have even blogged about this before?  If so, C’est la vie!  It’s worth blogging about again.  Besides, this time I added QUINOA!  Oh man, I love this grain. 
Quinoa is an amino acid-rich (protein) seed that has a fluffy, creamy, nutty, sweet, and slightly crunchy texture when cooked.  Most commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard.  No wonder I love it!  And my kids eat it up, better than Swiss chard or kale. (smile)
Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wha”) is a nutritional powerhouse.  It has a higher protein content than wheat, barely, or any other grain.  It’s rich in fiber and low in cholesterol.  Quinoa is a natural detoxifier and internal cleanser.  It contains impressive amounts of calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, and vitamin B- making it an excellent source of bone building and brain boosting. 
I’ve only had it before as a salad or as a substitute for rice but adding it to soup seems perfectly natural.

Pinned Image

Pinned Image
  
Quinoa Chicken 010
  You gotta love TJ’s for all things organic and inexpensive.
Quinoa has created quite the buzz in the gluten-free community.  However, regardless of your dietary needs, give it a try if you haven’t already.  My Chicken Stew recipe is actually Giada’s.  I add garlic to mine and double the chicken broth but otherwise, it’s the same.  Try it with a half cup of quinoa!  It makes a fabulous winter supper! 
Even if it’s expected to be 80 and sunny! 
(quinoa chicken stew photo credit)
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -