Resolutions vs. Resolve

03 January 2012

Pinned ImageJanuary, the first month of a new year.  Perhaps more than any other month, January is full of promise, hope and opportunity.  It’s also the month where our modern tradition of setting New Year’s resolutions begins. 

What is a resolution anyway?   It is a formal expression of opinion or intention made. 

Although I think resolutions can be helpful and fun, everyone knows they are seldom accomplished.  In fact, I read a recent study that said only 12% of people who actually set New Year’s resolutions keep them throughout the whole year. 

Don’t get me wrong, I do believe in setting goals.  Having a goal keeps us focused and determined.  It also helps us dream (and that’s always a good thing).  However, just because we take the time to make a list of resolutions, it doesn’t mean that “poof”  by the end of the year, we will have followed through and accomplished everything on our list.  In other words, wanting something so, doesn’t make it so. 

If you think about it, a resolution is a noun, a thing that is immobile…  But having resolve- now that’s a verb, an action- alive and dynamic.  Having resolve requires us to do something specific, with purpose and intention, creating a habit towards our desired outcome.  Resolving to do something may also be accompanied with discipline and discomfort.  Maybe that’s why resolutions often fizzle out within a few days or months?

For most people, the end of a year often brings about reflection in one’s own life.  That reflection is what causes the desire in us to change.  Therefore, in an act of wanting to improve oneself, New Year’s resolutions are often made.  I believe that reflection is a healthy necessity.  How else can we strive to learn and grow in all aspects of our lives without looking back to see where we might need pruning and development?  If you haven’t noticed by now, I tend to reflect quite often- daily, in fact.  At times, it can be cumbersome but in actuality, I’m thankful that God wired me this way. 

So, in the New Year,  let us not regret with resolutions but instead, reflect then resolve. 

In 2012,

I resolve to write more honestly.

I resolve to share more of what God is doing in me and through me, in hopes to encourage others towards their calling and purpose.

I resolve to receive grace and extend more grace to others.

I resolve to speak words that lift my children up and be their No. 1 Encourager.

I resolve to give my husband more than he gives me, without expecting anything in return.

I resolve to keep my tone in check.

I resolve to be a better friend, daughter, sister, mother and wife.

I resolve to do more things for others without thinking about how much it might inconvenience me. 

I resolve to spend more time reading books.

I resolve to dance more. 

I resolve to eat more fruits and veggies and less processed food.

I resolve to run two 5K’s this year.

I resolve to keep seeking, growing, learning, and choosing the things of God. 

And last but not least, I resolve to speak less about my own accomplishments and more about the Lord’s.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -