“Is it almost summer yet Bruschetta”

29 January 2013

Bruschetta 016A
So, is it almost summer yet?
Yes, I AM SERIOUS.  
And Yes, I do realize I may be the only person in this desert to ask that CRAZY question!
I'm so not a cold weather person and when I say cold, I'm talking anything under 65.
I know, I know...

I can almost hear you laughing.
Thankfully, I guess I'm living in the right state! 
(Actually, it's the wrong state for so many reasons but that's another post altogether).
This weekend, I caught an episode of the Pioneer Woman where she made bruschetta.  On Monday, I promptly added cherry tomatoes to my grocery list and for the last 2 days, my lunches have been packed full of flavor, happiness, and yes, a little slice of summer. 
I call the concoction,"Is it almost summer yet Bruschetta" because one bite and it whisks me away to warmer temperatures and everything that's good and right about summer. 
Bruschetta 027A
We adore the Pioneer Woman but her use of butter (and sugar) scares me. Sorry, Ree!
I opted for a healthier version using multi-grain loaf and a smidge of EVOO.   

Bruschetta 033A
Perfection on a plate, I tell ya!
 
Bruschetta 034A
I really have to be on guard around here.  As soon as the garlic hits the pan, the kids come running to see what that "yummy smell" is.  One turn of my back and it's like a piranha frenzy. :)

Bruschetta 036A
My belief: Kids will eat anything us adults think is delicious!  At least that's how my kids work. 
Plus, this is a colorful dish and fun to eat with your hands. (As evidenced by this photo!)  
Besides, they know good flavor when they taste it.
Funny thing is... I'm not even crazy about cherry tomatoes.  I don't care for them by themselves or in my salads.  However, when they're marinated in garlic, balsamic, and basil... they are absolutely scrumptious!  

Bruschetta 046A
So much for my lunch today...
Oh well, it became more of delectable shared snack!
Is It Almost Summer Yet Bruschetta
Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 5 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
  • 1 pint Red Grape Tomatoes, Halved Lengthwise
  • 1 pint Yellow Grape Tomatoes, Halved Lengthwise
  • 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
  • 16 whole Basil Leaves (chiffonade)
  • Salt And Pepper To Taste
  • 1 whole Baguette of your choice
  • 2 Tablespoons EVOO
Preparation Instructions
In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir, lightly frying for about a minute, removing before the garlic gets too brown (it can be golden.) Pour into a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
Add tomatoes, balsamic, basil, and salt and pepper to the bowl. Toss to combine, then taste and add more basil if needed, and more salt if needed (don't over salt, though!) Cover and refrigerate for an hour or two if you have the time.  I eat half now and half later!
Cut the baguette into diagonal slices to allow for the most surface area possible. Drizzle some EVOO on the slices and grill the bread in a grill pan, skillet, or under the broiler. Cook till golden brown on both sides.
To serve, give the tomato mixture a final stir, then spoon generously over the slices of bread.
Enjoy your slice of summer! (any time of year)























2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -