Tacos de Papas

15 August 2012


Crispy, creamy, smoky and spicy seasoned potatoes. Oh, yeah!!

I have to admit, I've been to several "hole in the wall" Mexican restaurants and I've seen Tacos de Papas (Potato Tacos) on the menu. However, I've never ordered these particular tacos- although they sounded interesting.  

Last week, I ran into my girlfriend, Janette and she told me about these seasoned potatoes she made. She also told me she used them for tacos as well as for breakfast. Um, she had me at "taco". 

I think everyone who knows us also knows our love for Mexican food. What can we say? Maybe it's a California thing? We usually have Mexican food several times a week and thankfully, it's been a versatile and key part of our new diet. Ole!

Thanks for the inspiration, J! My family absolutely loved these and we devoured every last bite!


Here's my version of Tacos de Papas.




A warm corn tortilla topped with seasoned potatoes, shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. 




Oops!  Don't forget the avocado slices!

Tacos de Papas
Ingredients:
4-6 potatoes (I used 6 small Yukon Golds.  Any kind would work).
2-3 garlic cloves, diced
1 small onion, diced
EVOO
Cumin
Chili Powder
Smoked Paprika
Salt & Pepper
*1/4 cup water

Boil potatoes until fork tender.  When cool enough to handle, cut in bite-sized cubes.  Use EVOO to saute onions and garlic in a non-stick skillet.  Add cubed potatoes and spices.  Toss and coat.  I don't have exact measurements because it's really just a matter of preference.  Try it with a 1/2 tsp. of each spice and then add more if you desire.  In the end, I think I used about 1 tsp. of each spice.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Remember, these are potatoes so salt liberally.

*You may need to add some water to absorb the spices.

Right before serving, turn up the burner to get that extra crispiness on the potatoes before turning once more.  Warm up some corn tortillas and add your favorite garnishes!

Mmm, que rico! 
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -