Stick to Your Bones Curried Lentil Soup

14 August 2012

Pinned Image

Lentils... little flat legumes, packed with fiber, B-vitamins, protein and hardly any calories.

I love these little guys because unlike beans, they don't need to be soaked before cooking.

I've only used the green and brown varieties, as I hear they keep their shape and texture better once cooked.

Yes, I realize it's 115 outside and that means it is still very much summer around these parts but comforting, stick to your bones type food is yummy in any season. No? Just turn up the A/C!

Besides, this is less like soup and more like stew, anyway. Here's a peek.            



I don't have a fancy camera and frankly, the lighting in my kitchen isn't the best for photos but this shot turned out pretty good. I think it's the pop in colors and textures. I have to say, it tasted delicious, too! So much so that I've been eating it for 3 days straight!

I'm slowly navigating my way through this new way of eating. I guess you can call it mostly vegan with the occasional fish. I don't know what the technical name for that might be, nor are we concerning ourselves with labels. We're not hard-core like that. Or snobbish. :)

We are, however, 5 weeks into it and so far it's been good! I don't miss anything I can't live without. I feel like I have lots more energy throughout the day and that's a nice bonus. Thank you, Lord!

I'm most impressed with my hubby though. He's not only cut out meat but also heavily processed foods, soda, and sweets. And boy, did he love his sweets! Thankfully, this was all his idea! OK, maybe I had a tiny bit of influence but ultimately, he's the one who made the decision to change his diet for himself. And since he couldn't do it without his chef at home's support, we jumped in together, for our whole family.

All this to say, if we invite you over for dinner, we'll still cook you meat and when you invite us, please don't fret. :)

Oh yeah, and feel free to pass along any delicious recipes you have for me. I need them!

Enjoy this, in any season!

Stick to Your Bones Curried Lentil Soup
  • 3 medium carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 med to large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 cups dry green lentils (rinsed)
  • 8 cups Vegetable stock (I like Pacific Natural Foods Organic Veg Broth)
  • 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1.5-2 Tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
  • simmer for 30-35 mins.
  • 10-15 Minutes Before Cooking Time Ends add in:
  • half bag of baby spinach leaves, kale, or swiss chard- cleaned and cut into bite-size pieces

 Serve with some crusty bread.  Mmm!
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -