Good Friday

06 April 2007

Good Friday as Christians is the day we commemorate the death and crucifixion of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. So why then is it called good? Well, it's good because Christ died for all of our iniquities and our sins. God sent His Son to die in our place so that we, who believe and trust in Him would have everlasting life with Him in heaven. As a Christian, one cannot really celebrate Easter Sunday without remembering the three days prior, when Jesus bore our shame on the cross at Calvary.

In doing some research, I found out that the name "Good Friday" came from the earlier English name, "Godes Friday," meaning "God's Friday." In much the same way as "God be with ye" was shortened to "goodbye," so did "Godes Friday" become "Good Friday." Other languages refer to this day in different ways. For example, in the Holy Land, Good Friday is known as "Big Friday." In Armenia it is called "High Friday." In Russia, "Passion Friday." In Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Hungary, "Great Friday." And in Latin America, "Holy Friday." I thank you, Lord for dying for my sins and for your example of goodness, love and forgiveness. As we near Easter, we not only look forward to the Easter egg hunt and the Easter bunny; we look forward to the most important reason behind our celebration of Easter, Your Glorious Resurrection.

*Wow, this is my 100th post on the blog! I didn't know that I had that much to say but I'm happy that we have recorded this chapter in our lives. Many have asked me, "How long will you keep the blog going?" Right now, I'm not sure. We'll just have to see how it goes.
I guess this has served as my scrapbook and I love to record and try to capture different moments in our lives. I'm also attempting to work on a hard copy scrapbook for both Faith and Grace so that they can have something tangible too. I'm finding though that I'm not so creative when it comes to that and it's taking me a little more time.
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -