My Summer Booklist

18 May 2017

A few weeks ago, as I was compiling a summer booklist for the girls, I decided it would be fun to create my own booklist. Like most moms, I read a TON of books to my toddler everyday. In addition, it seems like I've always got a read aloud going with the girls. But honestly, sometimes, I don't make time to read for myself. My personal reading definitely fluctuates between seasons. Truth moment: sometimes, I just want to veg on the couch and I can't even bring myself to pick up another book. I'm finding the toddler years (and now pre-teens years) do that to me. Help! 😜

Thankfully, I'm crawling my way out of that pit season and into a new one.
And just like anything else, when I put my goal in writing, it helps to keep me accountable.

I chose five books to read this summer. Five seemed like a realistic goal for me. Also, I'm being really choosy with my books. I researched them quite a bit to make sure they were going to keep my interest and motivate me towards my goal. In other words... 'Aint nobody got time to read dull boring books! 😛   

I bought this months and months ago on the sale table at Family Christian Bookstore and finally started reading this a couple of weeks ago. I appreciate the short, easy reading chapters. It's been wonderful for someone like me who often times, only has a few minutes to read here and there. The greatest take away so far: Less is more. Be faithful in the few things instead of burdening myself with everything else I think I should be doing. Isn't that true for so many aspects of life? Also, living like we are truly loved by God means that we don't have to try so hard to measure up to everyone else's expectations, especially our own. More being instead of striving. Every soul needs this reminder.  
  

My friend, Sarah told me about this book from a conversation we were having last week. Here's the premise: Play dates, soccer practice, day care, political correctness, drudgery without facts, television, video games, constant supervision, endless distractions: these and other insidious trends in child rearing and education are now the hallmarks of childhood. As author Anthony Esolen demonstrates in this elegantly written, often wickedly funny book, almost everything we are doing to children now constricts their imaginations, usually to serve the ulterior motives of the constrictors. With summer practically here, this one seems perfect.
I can't wait to dive into this one next!


Challenging as they are to raise, strong-willed children can grow up to be men and women of strong character―if lovingly guided with understanding and the right kind of discipline. Find out what Dr. James Dobson, today’s most trusted authority on parenting, has to say about what makes strong-willed children the way they are; shaping the will while protecting the spirit; avoiding the most common parenting mistake; and much more. If you are struggling to raise and teach children who are convinced they should be able to live by their own rules, The New Strong-Willed Child is a must-read!
Ha! We love you, Zachary!


The doctrine of adoption—God’s decision to adopt sinful men and women into his family—stands at the heart of Christianity. In light of this, Christians’ efforts to adopt beautifully illustrate the truth of the gospel. In this popular-level and practical manifesto, Russell Moore encourages Christians to adopt children and to help other Christian families to do the same. He shows that adoption is not just about couples who have struggled to have children. Rather, it’s about an entire culture within evangelicalism—a culture that sees adoption as part of the Great Commission mandate and as a sign of the gospel itself.
Yes, yes, and yes!! Naturally, Morgan and I are passionate about adoption and lately, God has been stirring us up to share this message with our church. I can't wait to see what He does as His word and Spirit inspire those around us!    


Ok, so as you can see from the above books, I'm usually bent toward non-fiction. Books about growing in depth, purpose and knowledge. You know, deep stuff. One True Loves is NOT one of those books. Ha! This is Chick-Lit, as far as I know. Totally opposite of what I'm used to. It's an emotional and epic love story that supposedly keeps you hooked and wanting more. I chose it as an easy vacation or beach read.
We shall see!    

And last but not least, I'm adding this 6th book to my list but it's not available until October. I can't wait to get my hands on Katie Davis' second book, Daring to Hope. I absolutely loved her first book, Kisses from Katie. Now, she's married with a new baby boy! Katie has a gift for sharing stories and conveying how big our God is through her unconventional, inspiring life.  

Ok, that's 6 books in total but I hope to get through 5 of them by the end of summer.
Do you have any must read books you'd like to share with me? If so, I'd love to hear about them!   

 Happy Reading!

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -