Jesus and Emmanuel

12 January 2012

Have you heard about the conjoined twin boys who were born last month in Brazil?  They were born with two separate heads but share one body.  Although each child has it’s own brain and spinal cord, they share one heart and all other internal organs.  Apparently, the mother lives in a remote part of Brazil and she was unaware she was having twins until an ultrasound was performed at the time of delivery.  Her babies arrived healthy by Cesarean section. 

What I find most inspiring about this story was the mother’s reaction.  Despite the surprise, the director of the hospital stated that the mother was not upset by the news.  On the contrary,“The babies were received with much happiness from the family.”  The twins were healthy, feeding and stayed with the mother the whole time.  Her desire was to take her babies straight home. 

It had me wondering…  How many of us would happily welcome conjoined twins, as this mother did?  Or instead, would we wallow in despair and decide that life was cruel, unfair and ruined?  While reading this story, I was graciously reminded that God has a purpose for every life.  Despite having one body, these brothers are most definitely two human beings. 

The twins were born just a few days before Christmas.  In anticipation of the birth of Christ, the mother named her sons, Jesus and Emmanuel.  Only by knowing and trusting God, through Christ, can we truly surrender our plans for His.  Only by submitting to the sovereignty of God, can we even begin to walk joyfully in the knowledge that we are not alone.  He has not forsaken us but rather, He walks with us and He loves us.

There’s a lot to be learned here.  So much so that I decided to share the story with my girls and use it as a teaching moment.  I explained it to them in a way that emphasized God’s design and special plan for each of us, the unconditional love of a mother, as well as the sometimes cruel, insensitive and judgmental comments from those who may easily believe the lie that these two lives are a burden and a curse, rather than a blessing.

 

And then I showed them this picture of Jesus and Emmanuel…

A two-headed born baby is pictured in Anajas, northern Brazil December 21, 2011. Doctors in Brazil said on Wednesday said they are unsure whether they can operate on a baby born with two heads, although the newborn boy is in stable condition. The

 

They replied:  “Aww, they’re cute!”

At that moment, I felt like I was given a glimpse into the innocence and beauty of having a childlike spirit and faith.  I envied their untarnished view of the world.  It was a gift.  They thought that being “stuck” to your best friend was a good thing!  They also said something that touched my heart… 

Grace said, “Well, at least they get to go up to heaven together!”  I smiled at her and said, “Yes!  They were born together and they’ll go up to heaven together, too.  What a blessing, not only to be born together but to enter into God’s kingdom and see Jesus, face to face- on the same day as your brother and best friend.” 

That night, as we said our bedtime prayers, Grace (as she always does), thanked God for her “best sister.”  She also added, “And God, I hope I get to go up to heaven together with my best sister, too.”  (sniff, sniff…) 

Why is it that I try to be a teacher to my children, but so often, they’re the ones teaching me?

Every life has a purpose.

I have no doubt there is a mother in Brazil tonight who is just as grateful for her double blessings, as I am for mine.

"Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me…”  ~Luke 9:48

emilializ said...

There was a show about Jesus and Emmanuel. Unfortunately, they died in the end. It was perhaps not surprising: conjoined twins, especially those sharing a vital organ like the heart, don't have a great chance of survival. Still, I felt sorry for their parents, who really loved their babies and were hoping they would make it. The parents have moved and have a nice new house with a lot of animals (cat, dogs, and some chickens). I wish the best for them and their other children.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -