Favorite Things Friday: Health & Fitness Edition

13 January 2017

This year, Lord willing, I'm determined to get out of survival mode and enter into more thriving.
Like most people, I love that a new year represents a new start!

I've been wanting to incorporate some minor changes in my health and diet and I'm excited to see and feel the results. This mama 'aint gettin' any younger. 😉 For any of you young folks (that's you, under 40), this simply means: things just don't come as easy as they used to. Like anything I want to do intentionally, it takes a plan and lots of dedication. For me, eating healthy is something I've always enjoyed and I don't particularly have a sweet tooth but honestly, because of my family, dinners are probably my biggest challenge. Maybe that's more of an excuse? Ha! Anyhow, I'm going to start incorporating some healthier dinners for us all. And for me personally, I'm trying to embrace more of the concept of eating a big breakfast, a medium lunch, and a small dinner (which is so unlike what I'm used to growing up).
Also, more fruits and plenty of fresh colorful veggies every day.  

 I've always made exercising a weekly habit and priority but as I get older and notice things like #slowermetabolism  #muscleloss and #gravity start to kick in, I feel the need to ramp it up a bit. After all, most 46 year olds are not blessed to have a toddler to chase around everyday. 😊 Not only that, I've always said that I don't want physical limitations to come between me and whatever amazing thing I may want to do next. Whether I'm climbing a mountain or scuba diving, if I'm brave enough to do it, I want to be able to go for it. It's not about my size or appearance (although we always look best when we feel best). It's more about living life to the fullest and honoring and stewarding the body God gave me by treating it with respect. In other words, we shouldn't put a bunch of junk in our temples, right?

Listen, I'll be 62 when Zach graduates from high school. A glorious, thankful 62!! And Morgan will be 70. We realize by that age, most people are grandparents (and Lord willing, we will be, too!). Nevertheless, we are so grateful the Lord chose us to be Zach's parents. He obviously has it all figured out. And not only did God choose us at a ripe old age, Zach's birth mom also chose us. Yes, she knew exactly how old we were and she still picked US! So you see, I've been entrusted. Love and respect are really what makes me want to be the best version of me. And obviously, it's not just for Zach, it's for all of us.

Anyhow, I've been changing a couple of things up in my routine and when I post about it here, it often helps to keep me accountable. So after a long-winded intro this week, here's my Favorite Friday Things, inspired by health & fitness!  
    
One day, I will not be able to work out but in the meantime, I am so grateful I can!  


I've been drinking a glass of warm lemon water in the morning when I first wake up. SO many benefits! Plus, I'm reducing the amount of coffee I have to just one cup each morning.  


I just started this today and I loved it! I don't think I'll do it every day but it's definitely something I'm adding to my weekly routine. #iknowiwillbesoretomorrow #agoodkindofsore


#gameon



I go through phases where I eat different things for breakfast. It typically lasts for a week at a time before I change it up: oatmeal, eggs, salmon, yogurt, cereal, etc. but breakfast toasts are something I ALWAYS go back to. I think I love them because you can use what you have on hand and doctor them up in so many fun and interesting ways. 


One of my current favorites: a slice of sharp white cheddar, smashed avocado (salt & pepper), and tomato on a whole wheat English muffin.


Another favorite is peanut butter (or almond butter), banana slices, and a drizzle of honey (the kids always mooch off this one). With my toast, I also have fruit and yogurt or a bowl of granola with fruit and almond milk. #proteinpower



And just to keep it real here, I also have things that I need to keep in check. For me, I like my red wine (and sharp cheeses) but everything in moderation so I have to make sure there's a balance.

So that's it. I've shared my motivation and what inspires me. I feel like we can all use some inspiration in the health and fitness department, no?

   What motivates you to get up and get moving?


2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -