Skinny Cheesy Broccoli Chicken & Rice Casserole

10 January 2015

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 026

You know the rhythm of life has changed a bit around here when I’m able to share recipes about food again!

 

photo 3 (2)

This little darling of mine has been sleeping through the night for a month now! Can we all just say, “Hallelujah and Amen!!”

 

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 001

I love taking old favorite comfort food recipes and giving them a healthy twist. Instead of white rice, I used a combo of brown rice and quinoa.

 

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 009

I also made my own cream of chicken soup. So easy and better for you than the canned version.

 

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 010

Recipe at the bottom.

 

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 015

Store bought rotisserie chicken makes this a cinch, too.

 

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 018

Almost ready to bake.

 

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 019

Perhaps the best part is the corn flake topping!

 

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 022

Now, we’re ready to bake!

 

Broccoli Chicken Casserole 026

We all said it was a good thing we started with a salad while we waited for the casserole to set. Otherwise, we would have devoured the entire pan of this stuff!

I love, love, love to eat healthy food and if I had it my way, I’d probably include kale and spinach in every meal. However, I live with people whose love language is often food and if I fed them kale and spinach every meal, they’d probably leave me. And since I love these people, I try to accommodate once in a while.

But it doesn’t mean I don’t try and sneak get as much healthy food into them as possible. I enjoy making them comfort food because, come on, it’s comforting, right? However, I’m always looking for ways to lighten things up without sacrificing flavor.

I promise. This recipe is a sure fire keeper!  Your kids will request it. Your hubby will ask for seconds and wonder if there’s any leftovers. And, it’s a great meal to take to someone and bless them with! Win, Win, Win!

(Oh, and it’s pretty healthy, too.)

Skinny Cheesy Broccoli Chicken & Rice Casserole

  • 2 cups diced chicken breast
  • 2 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen- steam if fresh, defrost if frozen)
  • 2 cups brown rice or quinoa
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup (easy homemade recipe below)
  • 1.5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or extra sharp for more flavor)
  • 1/2 cup light sour cream or plain greek yogurt (original recipe calls for mayo)
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • Corn flakes for topping plus 2T melted butter (can’t skimp on real butter!)
  1. Mixed all the ingredients together (except for the corn flakes and butter) and spread into a 9x12 baking dish.
  2. Crumble corn flakes over the top and spread melted butter over the top of the flakes.
  3. Bake at 350 for 30-35 mins.

Easy Healthy Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute 

  • 3T flour (I used whole wheat)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1T butter
  • 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 cups milk
  1. Mix flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
  2. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
  3. Add dry ingredients until well blended (should look pasty).
  4. Slowly add chicken broth and whisk until blended.
  5. Slowly add milk and whisk until well blended.
  6. Bring to a low boil and stir constantly until thickened.
  7. That’s it!! (1 recipe= 1 can cream of chicken soup)
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -