Stitch Fix: A Review

19 March 2014

SF 06

Have you heard of Stitch Fix? It’s the personal styling service that shops for you and sends 5 items of clothing (or accessories) to your door, either monthly or on the date you choose.

If you keep nothing, you send it all back in their prepaid envelope and they charge you a $20 styling fee. However, if you keep at least one item, that fee goes toward the cost of your item.

A friend of mine really enjoyed her experience so I thought I’d give it a try.

SF 01

For each item they send you, they also provide various styling ideas.

 

SF 05

A few months ago, my first box arrived. Out of the 5 items they sent me, I chose only to keep this Arrow Printed Henley blouse. I’ve worn it with dark skinny jeans and pointy heels.

 

SF 03

I also wore it with white long shorts and wedge heels.

I really liked the versatility of the blouse and it seemed well made. It could easily go from day to night, dressy or casual. Plus, it’s black and white. It works well in any season.

They encourage you to try on everything. I even modeled the clothing for hubby. Clearly, I’m no model. I barely managed this awkward picture of myself. And still, it doesn’t really show how the blouse fits or hangs. Blah.

They also sent me a pair of Kut from the Cloth dark jeans that I absolutely loved (they fit perfectly) but alas, they cost $80 and I can’t remember the last time I spent $80 on a pair of jeans. I was probably single.

Even though I only ended up keeping this one item out of the 5, I had a great first experience. The anticipation of getting a box of clothing in the mail, chosen just for you was fun! And the items I didn’t choose were a cinch to send back.

For my second fix, I decided to request some Spring items. Oh, I forgot to mention when you sign up, you fill out a detailed profile about yourself. It takes about 10 minutes and this is where you would answer lots of questions and chose your style preferences. 

SF 07

This week, my second fix came and when I opened it, here’s what I saw.

 

SF 09

Definitely Spring, in a box! And this time, they included a piece of jewelry.

 

SF 02

Once again, I tried on all the items but unfortunately, this time, nothing screamed, “keep me.”

So, it all went back in their pre-paid envelope. Easy.

SF 10

The Pros:

  • Trying on clothes that were chosen just for you, in the comfort of your home (for your hubby).
  • You don’t have to spend the time to shop or drive.
  • You can specify your preferences and give feedback on each item.
  • Fairly well made clothing.
  • Always fashionable.
  • You can schedule a fix whenever you want. 
  • You get to try on some pieces you would never choose for yourself.
  • Convenience and easy returns.
  • The sizes have been right on.
  • They give you 3 business days to decide whether you are going to keep the clothes.
  • The $20 styling fee goes towards the purchase of any item in that particular box. 

The Cons:

  • You have to pay the $20 styling fee each time a box arrives, even if you didn’t keep a single item.
  • The clothes are more expensive than I would typically pay. (The blouse I bought was $48)

So, will I try it again? Yes, I’m willing to give it another try but I think I’ll wait until Fall. And this time, I’ll request no jewelry. Would I recommend it to a friend? Definitely. I think it’s worth trying out at least one time. I think the concept is fabulous and they sure do make it user friendly.

In summary, I actually enjoy going shopping and trying on clothes at the store but finding the time to do so is always a factor. Some of my favorite pieces of clothing have been well made, name brand, thrift store finds. At this stage in my life, I’m looking to pair those finds with some versatile pieces. And I don’t mind paying a little more for them, as long as I think they will stand the test of time (in style and wear).

Stitch Fix is great for the busy woman who doesn’t like to shop or just can’t find the time to do it. It’s also great if you’re looking to add some new life to your wardrobe. I love how they encourage you to try on everything. Seriously, you would never consider some of the items if they were hanging on a rack in a retail store but I have to admit, trying on all the pieces gives you some ideas and a little inspiration.

Visit Stitch Fix and fill out your own style profile. Remember, you pay nothing until your first box arrives. If you decide to do it, let me know how you like it! And please use my referral code. I’ll be thankful to receive the $25 referral credit. :)

Have fun!

This could also be a fun birthday gift for a girlfriend or a loved one.  

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -