Roasted Butternut Squash & Black Bean Enchiladas

12 March 2014

BS & BB 033
Earlier this year, we participated in a church-wide 21 day Daniel type fast where we gave up meat, sweets and any adult beverages. It was during that time when my girlfriend, Hailey sent me this recipe.
It turned out to be a wonderful little surprise and an unusual twist from the normal flavors we were accustomed to for dinner. My girls enjoyed it so I knew it was a keeper. Thanks, Hai! :)
This week, one the girls’ CBS teachers was recuperating from surgery so we had the opportunity to bless her with a meal. With a vegetarian in her household, I decided to make this dish as an alternative to meat. We hope she liked it! :)
 
BS & BB 037
Mixture of roasted butternut squash, black beans, onions and cilantro.

BS & BB 022
Rinse and drain your black beans.

BS & BB 028
I can’t tell you how much I love TJ’s Salsa Verde. It has definitely become a staple in my pantry. I use it for a lot of Mexican dishes. And we love our Mexican food around here! It’s fabulous in the crock pot with chicken breast for Shredded Chicken Tacos!

BS & BB 050
The enchilada sauce is just a jar of salsa verde and a 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt mixed in. Line the bottom of your pan with some sauce and build away.

BS&BB 003
Top with creamy avocado slices and cilantro.
I think I may have tweaked Hailey’s recipe just a tad but only because I couldn’t find the recipe when I went to make it. I flew by the seat of my pants and went by memory (and taste). They turned out great! The secret ingredient is definitely the key. Right, Hai?! It pairs so well with the sweet squash and makes these warm with the spice… almost like dessert!
Such a tasty and light alternative to meat.
Give it a try if you’re looking for something new or just to shake things up a bit. :)
Roasted Butternut Squash & Black Bean Enchiladas
12 oz. of butternut squash (I used a package and diced the cubes smaller)
1 15 oz. can of black beans
1/4 cup onion
1 T cilantro chopped
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (*the secret ingredient*)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
shredded cheese of choice
I 12 oz. jar green salsa (or your favorite red)
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cubed butternut squash on a large baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, stir together roasted butternut squash, beans, chopped onion, and cilantro. In another medium bowl, stir together salsa and yogurt.
Pour a thin layer of the salsa sauce over the bottom of casserole dish. Place squash and bean mix into warm corn tortillas and top with cheese if desired. Roll up and place seam-side-down in the baking dish. Continue until all the squash mixture is used up. Pour the remaining salsa sauce over the top of enchiladas. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese has melted and starting to brown in places, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with avocado slices, yogurt (or sour cream), and pico de gallo.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -