Happy NOT Back to School!

07 September 2013

Not back to school

This may sound like I’m being a little cheeky but the truth is, for me, there is a very real and honest sentiment behind these words. Surprisingly though, this is NOT a post on homeschooling (although there will be a handful of those coming next). This is about something more important. 

With Labor Day behind us now and all the children back in school, for many moms, this signifies the taking back of their freedom and personal time. How do I know?

Because I’ve spoken to many of them and that’s what they’ve told me. Unfortunately, this type of thinking often accompanies a sense of relief, entitlement, and at the very least, an attitude of complaint towards their children. In other words, “The summer was great but the kids were taking up all. of. my. time.”

On social media, I’ve even seen mothers who have celebrated the fact that their kids are now back in school (complete with a picture of themselves-- huge grins and fist pumping, no less). The caption actually read, “Woo-hoo! The kids are back in school!”

Maybe it’s just me but I sometimes ponder,“What would my children think if they read every status update or picture I’ve ever posted?” How would I feel if my own mom was posting these pictures and making such comments about me?

It makes me wonder…

What message are we conveying to our children and to the world about our children?

What concerns me is that many of these attitudes about children being a burden are actually coming from Christians. It seems to me God has always been clear on this topic. He values and delights in children. Satan however, hates them. In fact, he would like us all to believe that they are life-sucking little monsters; inconveniences at best. Christian mom, we have a great responsibility to decipher the truth from a lie, to value the things God values, and to be set apart for Christ.

How we view our children (and consequently speak about them) is in direct relationship to how we view our gift, our calling, and our stewardship as a parent.

  • “Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.” ~Psalm 127:3
  • “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.” ~Matthew 18:10

The world has enough women who are selfish. We need more selfless women who are willing to pick up their cross and die to themselves… daily.

We have enough women who feel like they are entitled to something more. We need more women whose contentment and worth rest in the purpose and plans of their Heavenly Father.

We have enough women who complain about their lack of “me” time. We need more women who seek the Lord’s strength and example for a sacrificial life.

We have enough women who speak from emotion, loosely and harshly. We need more women who are willing to stand on and speak God’s uncompromising truth, in love.

We have enough women who only focus on the here and now. We need more women with godly vision, impacting the Kingdom for generations to come.

Our children are on loan to us. All our days are numbered and each day is a gift. Of course, it goes without saying, not all our days are easy but when we are diligent to seek God’s will above our own, He is gracious to pour out blessings of peace, joy, and contentment into our lives.

Lastly, let us not be fooled. When we immerse ourselves with worldly culture and its people, its subtle powers begin to slowly influence our attitudes and thinking. As keepers of the home, we need to yoke ourselves to godly women who encourage us in our calling as wife, mother, and teacher. Most importantly, above all else, let us commit to pursuing God’s heart for our family each and everyday.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -