Hope in Christ, Not in Curriculum

20 August 2012


Are you getting ready to start school?  

What grade are you in?  

What school do you go to?  

Do you know who your teacher is yet?  

Do you like your teacher?  

These are just some of the questions my kids get asked frequently.  

Especially now, since the "back to school buzz" is in full effect.  

Thankfully, the girls have had lots of practice answering these questions (and more) over the last couple of years.  Most folks we meet are genuinely gracious and kind to us when they find out we're homeschoolers.  At least to our face, anyway. :) 

I'm always impressed that the girls can answer all their questions with zeal and never get tired of saying, "We're homeschooled!"

And let's be honest, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely thrilled and relieved with their answer on that last question... 

"We love our teacher!  She's our mom!"  Makes my day, every time. 

This time of year, I also get questions concerning curriculum choices from fellow and new homeschooling moms.  

One thing I've realized in my short time homeschooling is that no curriculum holds the magic answer. A little research will show an endless amount of resources today and a vast array of curriculum options in every subject.  

If you're not careful, you can spend a ton of money and feel desperately discouraged all at the same time.

Therefore, whenever I'm asked about homeschooling, my answer always points back to the Lord.  As I've written in the past, our family's vision has evolved.  Our view of education is much different than it used to be.  Our goals have changed so naturally, our methods have changed.

I don't want to give the false impression that it has always come easy for me (surrender never does) but at the same time, it has always felt right.  

It requires that I relinquish control, constant comparison, unrealistic expectations, standardized models, and pre-conceived outcomes.  It makes me seek God's counsel and His Word daily, rather than depend on my own flawed, comfortable model of schooling.  It allows me to accept and appreciate my children for the unique individuals that God made them to be.  It opens my eyes to see more clearly the gifts and talents God has given my children, in a way that I might not have, if I were so focused on completing lessons.  And last but not least, it gives me the freedom to embrace our numbered days with joy and peace.  

It's been quite the journey thus far.  One that I'm so thankful for!

I saw this post on Visionary Womanhood a couple of weeks ago (one of my absolute favorite blogs) and I thought it was an encouraging and important reminder for those of us who homeschool for the Lord.

Here's a peek...

Every September I feel a wave of self doubt wash over me. It doesn’t matter that I have been home schooling for 12 years; I still question the soundness of my plans and my own adequacy as a mother and teacher.

Although I feel these doubts year in and year out, I don’t entertain them anymore. They were just signs that I was shooting for the wrong goals and fashioning idols out of clay.  

I wanted to raise intelligent, articulate children who could succeed in life, and I was trusting they would get there if I just used the right methods. I was focused on worldly success in this life, rather than striving for crowns in the life to come.

God’s Word says that “…some trust in chariots, and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.” (Psalm 20:7). 

Are we trusting in the Lord for the success of our homeschool, or are we trusting in our carefully fashioned plans?

Read the entire post here.

“If your children know Saxon Math better than the Proverbs, they are not being properly educated.” -Kevin Swanson
Hailey said...

I love your posts on home education . . . always. And Kevin's quote at the end was my favorite part!

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -