The Joy of Studying God’s Word (with my children)

11 October 2011

Bible study 003A

 

Bible study 004A

With the long summer break behind us now, the girls and I are back into our routine of Community Bible Study.  This year, we start by studying  the Gospel of Luke.  The girls have also moved up to the Primary CBS class.  In other words, no more crafts, coloring, or simple bible stories.  Primary students actually do their own bible study!  It’s a kid’s version of the same study I’m doing.  They also have worship time, core group discussions, and a mini-lecture.  Other than their core group time, the girls are among the youngest children, as they are intertwined with other homeschoolers, ranging from age 5 to high school.

Both the girls and I have five lessons to complete each week as part of our individual homework/study.  We just wrapped up week 2 and can I tell you how much I’m LOVING it!  Yes, it can be a bit of a challenge for me because it requires me to spend more intentional time with my girls.  And yes, it can be a struggle to get my own study done as well.  However, the benefits completely outweigh the challenges. 

I’m so thankful that Morgan and I spent the summer doing 2 things with the girls: 

1.  We spent almost everyday doing  family devotions using the Egermeier’s Bible.  Most of these stories are longer and more in depth than the traditional children’s bible.  I believe this greatly helped the girls expand their listening and comprehension skills. 

2.  The fact that the girls were already used to sitting in an hour long service at church, doing their best to pay attention. 

Both of these practices made the transition to Primary CBS a bit smoother.

It amazes me and brings me great joy to know that at such a young age, I’m actually able to do a bible study with my children.  Only 10 years ago, I remember doing my first bible study!  By doing their homework every week, the girls are learning to read and write but most importantly, they’re getting to know the heart of God better.  They’re also learning the value of turning to the bible for examples, guidance, wisdom, and inspiration.         

I’m happy to say that we have a little routine going every morning and the girls are really enjoying it.  Besides, at this age, if we are going to sit down to do any table work at all, I cannot think of a better thing to study than God’s Perfect and Holy Word!

“He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion.”  ~Philippians 1:6 

Community Bible Study is an interdenominational bible study for the community. They offer classes throughout the United States and welcome people from all backgrounds and levels of bible knowledge.  CBS is a 30 week course that first began in the Washington D.C. area in 1975.   To find a CBS class near you, click here.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -