Reflections from a social networking dropout...

29 April 2011


It's been over 5 weeks now since I left facebook. I've had some interesting reflections along the way...

1. No one really misses me. I mean that in the most humbling way. In other words, life just goes on- with or without little ole me... and that's OK! I guess I'm not as important as I thought I was. Ha!

2. I've had the time and desire to be more fully present in the life of my family.

3. Checking facebook everyday (several times a day) was truly was an addiction for me. I use the term "addiction" because it became a habitual, daily, compulsive need.

4. I realized rather quickly that anything that lures me into being nosey about what other people are doing and takes time away from my true calling as wife and mother, is not of God.

5. Thankfully, I did not suffer "withdrawals" of any kind. That is of God!

6. In fact, as each day passed, I began to feel a sense of freedom!

7. Subsequently, I've read several articles regarding the topic of social networking and it's impact on the world. The consensus- people do admit they are "addicted" and how it takes time away from their families and other priorities. However, perhaps the most alarming fact is that most people are still NOT willing to unplug.

8. Low and behold, dropping out of fb has actually made me take steps in reaching out to others. You know, forming "real" friendships with real people, the old fashioned way, face to face, through time spent together.

9. I was surprised at how much static/noise was in my head as a result of participating on facebook. Every status update I read was inadvertently filed away up there (in my already crowded mind somewhere). When I dropped out, I not only felt freedom but also a sense of quiet peace.

10. Perhaps the most surprising thing I've experienced since leaving facebook, I have regained the ability to hear my own voice--to recognize, to ponder, to enjoy, and just be me. Looking back, I think I sorta lost some of that along the constantly moving phenomenon known as social networking. In turn, I have more room in my head (and my heart) to hear the quiet whispers of God. A definite "win-win."

So here's the challenge: First, be honest with yourself. Then, if you think you might be the least bit "addicted" to facebook or any other social networking site, I'd like to challenge you to unplug for 30 days. Give it a try. You'd be surprised at how life truly does go on, and even flourish. Promise. Through my experiences and failures, I hope to encourage other women (especially moms), to reclaim their lives with more meaning, intention, joy, and purpose.

Please let me know if you decide to take the challenge. It would be my honor to pray for you.
Anonymous said...

I am doing it, I officially unplug on May 1st! Jennifer

Kelly said...

I did it!! It's been a long time coming for all of the reasons you've listed and you helped me take that plunge. It's so liberating hitting that "deactivate"!

Catherine said...

That's SO AWESOME, Girls!! I can't wait for you to experience the peace and freedom (we thought we had). :)

I'll be praying for you both! XO

The Duncan Family said...

Well, just so you know. You are missed. Which is why I like to visit your blog. :) Thanks for the wisdom and insight.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -