"Grace to-go" bags

29 March 2011

Our completed bag.

Ready to fill...

Busy bees.

The little hands (and feet) of Jesus.

Our church is in the midst of another 40 day spiritual growth campaign. This one is called, How to Start Becoming a Good Samaritan. I was excited about this particular journey because ever since we sold our house, I've been sensing that God is trying to grow me in this area. I think I've always felt like I should help the poor, the widows, and the orphans but so often, I become immobile due to the vastness of the problem. Other times, I think those problems lie far, far away and choose to turn a blind eye to what's right in front of me. I'm guilty of staying inside my own little comfortable world and pretending that if I don't actually see the poor and needy, maybe they're not really there.

As I've said before, I think part of my responsibility as a parent is to cultivate a heart and burden for the world within my children. A heart that does something, rather than nothing. A heart that turns beliefs into action. Does that mean I want my daughters to one day go off to distant lands, spread the gospel, and help the poor, sick, and needy? Well, YES... if that's what they're led to do. But more than that, my desire for them is to be "mission-minded", wherever they may be.

One of the small groups at our church created the idea of "Grace to-go" bags. These bags can be handed out to the homeless or anyone who has a need. I thought this was a neat and tangible way to get the girls involved, as well as serve as a reminder to look for opportunities to show God's love around our community. I presented the idea to the girls and they were immediately on board. In fact, they were even happy to use some of their birthday money to help pay for the various items.

After we finished filling the bags yesterday, Grace said with a contented smile, "I'm glad we did this, mom." :)

And wouldn't you know it? God is so GOOD! On the way home from visiting a friend this morning, He gave us our first opportunity to give out a bag, just as we got off the freeway exit.

The girls were so excited to be able to help someone. Then God blessed me with His grace. As we were driving home, my sweet Gracie unexpectedly said, "I'm proud of you, mom." :)

I'm sharing this little idea simply because it was shared with me and it inspired me to do something.

It's never too early (or too late) to spread God's love!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world." ~Anonymous


"Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them." ~Mother Teresa


"Each one of them is Jesus in disguise." ~Mother Teresa
The Duncan Family said...

So cute. I have been planning on doing the same thing this coming week as a family. Looking forward to it!

Missie said...

What a WONDERFUL idea! I too understand how we can feel that the problems are too big - and how can we help? I also am loving the Josh WIlson song "I Refuse" which touches on this subject as well. What a great teaching opportunity for the kids - I'm thinking we might have to borrow that idea here. I know my kids would love that as a ministry to others.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -