Watermelon Feta Salad

24 September 2010

I added the juice of half a lemon, EVOO, salt, pepper, and basil.
Simply toss gently and enjoy!

Our first course is served! Placed in these cute little bowls.

Ok, so I've seen this particular salad in my magazines as well as some food blogs and the cooking channel this summer. It seemed like all of them had their own little variation to it. The two ingredients seemed sort of odd together but what the heck-- I love watermelon and feta so I thought I'd give it a try sometime. Plus, it looked so simple with beautiful colors! Unlike last year, I had a tough time finding a sweet and ripe watermelon this summer. I tried many different stores but each melon I bought was a little under par. Finally, last week, I picked up the smaller melons that come in a two pack at Costco. They seemed to be the best of all the rest. I used low-fat feta and I diced the melon into small bite sized pieces. I had basil on hand so I used that but you could certainly use watercress, arugula or mint.

The taste-- cool, refreshing, sweet, salty, juicy, and surprisingly VERY YUMMY!!
I'll definitely be making it more often next summer. It's super easy yet it looks so elegant for a dinner party or brunch. Morgan and I will be having it for our first course tonight. The girls aren't into feta yet so I'll probably just make them a plain watermelon and strawberry salad. Sure makes up for the second course we're having... hot dogs! :) Happy Weekend!
Genny said...

SO good!! I make this with some lettuce as well, feta, watermelon, red onion, and some kind of vinagrette.

Catherine said...

Nice, Genny! Yeah, I liked the bite the pepper gave it so the red onion would be great as well!

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -