Refined

16 July 2010

I've been sick with a nasty virus for 14 days. I mostly dealt with fatigue, body aches, stomach issues, sore throat and just an overall icky feeling of uneasiness. Let's just say that it was the longest I've ever been sick. Thankfully, I'm now on the mend. I've been feeling much better over the last 2 days. Hallelujah!

Some things I learned while I was sick...

-4 year olds carry some fierce germs.
-never schedule a vacation, right after Summer Spectacular.
-it's okay not to exercise on your vacation- that why it's called a vacation!
-we all need to rest, especially mommy.
-spiritual warfare will attack the mind when the body is weak.
-prayer is a lifeline.
-so grateful for content and happy kids!
-my hubby needs me. :)
-i love, love, love the Desert Song by Hillsong.
-godly girlfriends are a gift.

And last but not least- sometimes, God puts us through the fire to refine our flame.

I read somewhere that happiness depends on happenings, but joy depends on Christ. If happiness depends on happenings, then what happens when our possessions rust, our loved ones die, our health begins to deteriorate, our money dwindles away, and we realize the party's over? It's during these moments that we see our happiness slip away and despair sets in.

Joy however, is not dependant on our circumstances. Joy, rather than happiness, runs deeper and stronger. Joy is the quiet, confident assurance of God's love and His promises. Joy comes from knowing that He will be there no matter what. I was certainly reminded of this over the last 16 days and for that, I am grateful. James 1:2-4 often came to mind...

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Without a doubt, all of us will suffer in this life. I am certain that God allows suffering for two important reasons-- well no, make that 3.

1. So that we may identify with Christ's sufferings.
2. To help us rely on and strengthen our faith in God.
3. To help us proclaim God's power and to encourage others.

I spent so many countless moments in prayer and petition over the last few weeks. I can honestly say that even though at times, I was down right miserable; looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. Suffering helped me to test my faith and build stronger pillars of perseverance and hope. Lesson learned. Many more to go...

"This is my prayer in the fire,
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames..."
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -