Being Intentional

26 April 2010

Little Lovelies.

Sisterly Love.

Grace took this one (so nice to have our own photographers).

Hangin' out.

Cutie pies.

Faith, relaxing by the river.

Just for the record, they come up with their own poses!

Gracie.

Doing the hula.

Dancing and having a blast!

Doing some kind of 'cat walk' on the stage.

Grace, our free spirit.

Showing off her cool moves.

Another fun and fantastic weekend! Lately, Morgan and I have been trying to be truly intentional about our parenting. We're both enthusiastically embracing our way of life as a homeschooling family and the weekends often give us plenty of joint parenting opportunities to engage, teach, and show our kids what it means to enjoy life. Of course, I've been trying to do it on a budget as well. Actually, it makes it kinda fun! This Saturday, we attended our city's 28th birthday celebration. The celebration took place at a local park with lots of games, booths, giveaways, and fun activities for the kids. The girls love to go to festivals or anything like that and we enjoy being an active part of our community. We had snacks, lunch, and drinks at the event- all free of charge! Saturday afternoon, we decided to go to The River. We just felt like people watching, walking around, and hearing some live music. Some of the best times we've had as a family are just walking around hand-in-hand, exploring things as we go. We enjoyed throwing pennies in the river and making wishes, dining al fresco, and dancing our tushes off to the outdoor band. Total cost- $20 for dinner at Baja Fresh.

Sunday, we had a great morning at church. In the evening, we were invited to dinner by one of Morgan's clients. The girls got to swim in their pool for an hour (on their own) while the adults chatted away. So nice! Even there, after dinner, I found myself engaging my children (instead of just wishing they would find something to occupy themselves with). I used this time to teach them something. There happened to be a pool table that the girls were interested in so we had a lesson about pool, counting, shapes, etc. We even made up a fun game. I think our hosts were charmed and amused. :) Another great night and only $20 spent the whole weekend. Not bad!

Making a conscious effort to be more intentional with our children and our time is important for me, especially because it doesn't come as natural to me as it does for Morgan. Lately, I've been feeling so incredibly blessed. There are so many little and simple things that I'm thankful for. Each making up such a huge and profound sense of gratitude. Most of all, I'm especially thankful to God for my girls. They are amazing little gifts of light to me and I am so often humbled by the fact that God chose me to be their mom. My children are certainly not perfect (no such thing!) but by and large, their hearts are tender and their spirits are joyful. They are both uniquely individual, yet they share a bond and closeness that few of us will ever know. I am crazy in love with them and their little personalities and it's been so much fun getting to know them and watching them blossom. I use this word a lot but privilege is the best word that comes to mind. I'm loving this age, too. My friend Genny said it best. She said four year olds are so much fun because they're still little kids but beyond the neediness of a toddler. At this age, my kids also know what's expected and understand full well the appropriate consequences for their actions. They are making wiser choices and communicating more effectively.
I love it!

Intentional mothering is certainly a constant choice. I'm already finding that the blessing of homeschooling has allowed me to be more aware of it throughout the day. Believe me, it's not that I think I do it so well- I'm just realizing more and more that God already knows how capable I am. He believes in me. That's the humbling part. It's also the part that gives me all the strength and confidence I need to be the best I can be for my family and for God's glory.
I am so thankful to be a mom! It is my greatest challenge, as well as my greatest joy. My kids are barely four and I've learned so many valuable lessons in life. Lessons that may not have come without the experience of motherhood. Being a mom allows me to see the parallel relationship between us and our Heavenly Father. He disciplines us, He encourages us, He has our best interest at heart, He withholds no good thing from us, He forgives us, He would never leave or forsake us- all because He loves us. I heard a song at church this Sunday called "Desert Song" by Hillsong. The song is a prayer about choosing to praise God is all circumstances; in the good or bad, in the desert or the harvest. It reminded me that although right now, "I'm in a season where favour and providence flow. I know I'm filled to be emptied again. This seed I've received I will sow..."

Praising God for all of my life, for my sweet little girls, for everything.
The Letter 'W' said...

"God already knows how capable I am. He believes in me."
love how you said that! i've heard age four is a wonderful age. teagan has his moments of heading into four and it's great. haha. you are so right that we need to enjoy each stage of life as they pass so quick. as trey was snuggling in my arms one night it hit me that soon i won't have a little one to hold and rock.

Hailey said...

such a beautiful post on intentionality. I have been forming a simliar post in my mind and I look forward to sharing some similar thoughts. I love how the Desert Song impacted you this Sunday just like it did me. I also love how you talked about how homeschool is just an extension of your being intentional - so wonderful.

Genny said...

Awesome post Catherine! You write so beautifully about your children. Love all the good ideas for cheap fun as well. Thanks for the shout out! :-)

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -