Happy Mid-Summer!

21 July 2009

Last Thursday and Friday, Morgan had some business in San Diego, so the girls and I decided to go with him. His days were filled with meetings, a dinner benefit and a golf tournament so we knew that we wouldn't be seeing very much of him. Regardless, he was going to be staying in a hotel anyway, so as long as it had a nice pool, the girls and I could tag along and we would be just fine. It was a wonderful 'mommy and me' time. I enjoyed every minute. In fact, I refrained from taking any pictures while we were there. I'm usually the family photographer and I love to capture special moments but I wanted to concentrate on being 'in the moment' with my girls instead of being behind the camera lense. Our time away was so nice because there were no distractions- no cleaning, laundry, cooking, computer, TV, or phone calls.
It was sort of a mini-vacation, you could say! It actually reinforced my desire to focus on giving my family my best this summer. It sounds sort of strange but let's face it, there are so many distractions that take up our time on a daily basis. I found that for me, most of these activities, if not re-evaluated and checked often, can rob me of my precious time, energy, priorities, and even good intentions.

Some of these distractions are not necessarily bad. For example, I made the decision this summer to pass on attending bible study. It was not just any bible study, it was my beloved Beth Moore and the study was on Esther. For weeks, I went back and forth and finally, through prayer and an honest look at myself, my kids, and my deepest desires, I felt the Lord nudging me to do something else this summer. Something that involved me and my kids. I knew that my children deserved the best parts of me. Not the short, tired, and what was left-over me. Sure, they were always clean, well-fed, looking cute, and got lots of rest but were they really getting my best everyday? Were we connecting daily on a much deeper level? The reality is that my girls are now 3 years-old and they are bright, communicative and impressionable little beings that love to have fun, learn, laugh and enjoy life. What greater privilege and joy could there be than to participate in the shaping of these young hearts?

On the drive to San Diego, Morgan mentioned that he noticed I was much more "mellow" in the last few weeks with the girls. He said that he can often hear my tone of voice from his office and that tells him what kind of day I'm having. It has certainly been a conscious effort on my part. With God's power and grace, I am choosing to die to myself daily in order for the Holy Spirit to reign in me. It's easy to forget that I am indeed filled with the fruit of the Spirit, if only I just tapped into it. I think another reason why I seem to be a bit more mellow lately is because I'm finally settling into motherhood. I had a steep learning curve for the first couple of years, multiplied by 2!

I can honestly say that I am loving life right now. The time that I have spent with my children so far this summer has been some of the best. There is a beautiful life captured in the little moments that we share. The hugs, the kisses, the smiles, the cuddles, and the countless, "I love you, moms."
We are spending more time reading bible stories, devotions, cooking, writing, painting, playing games, singing, and dancing. I am engaging them more and more and even though they may not say it now, I know that they are appreciative of my time and commitment towards them.

Everything can be a learning experience and as time goes on, I am slowly growing into the kind of mother that God wants me to be. Along the way,
I may have some set backs but as long as I keep asking the Lord for His guidance and help, I know that He will set me on a straight path. As each day passes, I realize the enormous impact I have in the lives and hearts of these two precious children that the Lord has entrusted us with. And like I told Faith and Grace last night, just like Esther, God has a special plan for each of their lives and someday they too, will be asked to do something with great courage for God.

Lastly, I am so grateful for my hard-working husband who allows and encourages me to grow into my role as a stay-at-home mom and homemaker. He has been working and traveling quite a bit with his new company over these last couple of months and although we miss him, it has actually allowed the girls and I to bond even more. When daddy is in the room, he is still their favorite but who can blame them? I am totally content with being second to him. After all, he's my favorite, too.
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -