When to say when

18 July 2008

Trying on daddy's shirt.

Morgan and I have decided to take a little break from potty training. The girls were doing pretty well but the bottom line was that after countless times of going on the potty, they were not yet taking the initiative to go on their own. For the most part, I was constantly reminding them and asking them if they needed to go. Sure, they would have no problems going when put on the potty but otherwise, the feeling of needing to go on their own had not yet fully developed. This was a tough decision for me because I didn't want to feel as though I was giving up. After talking it over with Morgan yesterday, he helped me put it in perspective and realize that it's best to wait a little while longer. After all, we know that at this age, so much can develop and change from day to day.

Besides, I'm pretty sure my own ego started coming into play. My goodness, it's not as if there are any potty training awards! As a mom, I learned that there is a fine line and a delicate balance between pushing too hard and realizing when to say when. Consequently, there was a lot more joy in our home yesterday. Mostly because as women, we tend to spearhead the emotions of our household. No more walking on pins and needles. My sweet girls had endured enough.

Just as we thought, even in diapers, Faith asked to go potty several times yesterday. We praised her for her successes and know that Grace is not far behind. There were some real positives that happened during our time of training. The girls learned to drink out of a big girl cup, rather than a sippy cup or straw. They now happily take all their drinks from a cup. We spent more time just sitting around the kitchen table talking, drawing, coloring and reading books. And for me, this time was a constant reminder for my need and dependence on the Lord, in all circumstances. I'd say that alone was worth it.

Thank you to my dear friends for all your encouragement and prayers. Soon enough, we'll give it another go!
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -