Proverbs 31

18 January 2008

Some months ago, Morgan was reading a book in the Every Man series and came across something that he wanted to share with me. He asked me to read this one morning and prefaced it by saying, "This is what I think of you." As you can imagine, I was ever-so-slightly hesitant. This was, after all, a Christian book on marriage. As I began to read, I vaguely recognized the bible passage but this time, I read it with fresh eyes.

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her.

Proverbs 31:10-28

As I read halfway down the passage, I could not help but get teary-eyed. Yes, the Proverbs 31 woman is a tough act to follow and although I know that I could never be all of these things, just knowing that my husband thought I was, blessed me in a way that I will never forget. I treasure that moment and on occasion, I read the passage again with gratitude, humility, and a genuine desire to strive to be that woman. Thank God for a new day and for the priceless gift of a loving and encouraging husband and father.
Hailey said...

ahhh. . . so sweet! Ruthie just spoke on this in our bible study thursday morning. It encouraged me to work on those area's that i lack in. Someone in class asked why there isn't a Proverbs 32 where it describes what a man should be. We learned that that Proverbs was written to young men and this was what they were to look for in a wife! I pray that we both are Proverbs 31 women each day so we can teach our precious daughters to grow up to be the same.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -