Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption

31 May 2013

So, I mentioned this book at the beginning of the year. It has been on my nightstand for 5 months and although I knew I would enjoy it, I waited for the right time to pick it up. God prompted me to do so a week ago and now I know why.

God never shows up late. In fact, He’s got impeccable timing.

Five months ago, I didn’t know we were going to be in the middle of pursuing adoption. But God did.

Five months ago, I was still unsure, fearful, and hesitant about adding another child to our family. But God knew all along.

(Just like He knew I needed to read this book at this very moment in my life).

I can honestly say, Jesus used this book to wreck me. And then He took those broken pieces and began to put me together again, more beautifully. 

This is a story about relentless love, radical obedience, and true redemption.

I used to think only the specially “gifted” people like Mother Theresa or missionaries were called to care for the least of these. I used to think, “Well, not everyone’s called to adopt.” 

Jesus does not simply suggest we take care of orphans, widows, and the under-privileged. He mandates it.

Yes, I understand, not everyone can or should adopt. However, for the majority of self-proclaiming Christians in America, adoption should be an extension of our love and obedience to Christ.

“The truth is that the 143 million orphaned children and the 11 million who starve to death or die from preventable diseases and the 8.5 million who work as child slaves, prostitutes, or under other horrific conditions and the 2.3 million who live with HIV add up to 164.8 million needy children. And though at first glance that looks like a big number, 2.1 billion people on this earth proclaim to be Christians. The truth is that if only 8 percent of the Christians would care for one more child, there would not be any statistics left.”
― Katie J. Davis, Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption

This young woman did not go to Uganda to adopt 14 girls or even set out to write a story about adoption.

She went to Uganda because she loved the Lord, she knew how much she had been given, and she wanted to be obedient to what He asks of us: To care for the least of these because by doing so, you are caring for Me. (Matthew 25:31-46)

Kisses for Katie has ministered greatly to my family. We’ve had many conversations around the kitchen table about what we’ve read or what we’re reading (Morgan’s reading it, too). We line it up with God’s word and then we reflect on what that means for us and our lives. Each day, we talk about the children in Uganda and their needs. It has given us a clearer understanding of our calling and how it’s preparing us to welcome another little one into our family. 

This is one of those books you will never forget. And I never want to. 

If you have a heart for the least of these and you are brave enough to reflect on your own life, you will never, ever be the same after reading Kisses from Katie. 

Go ahead, I dare you.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -