13 Random Things

09 February 2013

 

Some of these are answers to questions I've been asked and others are simply my opinion on various topics.   

1.  I do not believe a Christian woman is any “less” Christian for wearing pants, make up, fashionable clothes, shoes, or accessories. Within some Christian circles, there is some prevailing notion that righteous women should go around wearing jumpers and long skirts, 24/7. If you prefer wearing these types of clothes, then go for it. However, we all know biblical womanhood has little to do with the clothes we wear on the outside. If we aim to honor God in all areas of our lives and be on guard against pride and self righteousness, I think we’re on the right track. Modesty and class never go out of style.

2.  Along the same lines, I adore hymns and love to play them on the piano but I also enjoy Contemporary Christian music. God speaks to us in various ways and He has so often used current music to minister and encourage me. Don’t judge. 

3.  Beyonce's Super Bowl Half Time Show- (It’s kind of outdated news already, isn’t it?). What we, as Americans, have accepted for “family entertainment” is really sad. Needless to say, we barely watched any of the Super Bowl. In fact, we watched more of the Puppy Bowl. :)  We sure as heck wasn't going to sit around with our young children and watch half-naked women gyrating and simulating sex in our living room. Trust me, I'm no prude but I have kids now. Our girls (and boys) need better role models. Less "fierce", more tame.  

4.  After eating a mostly vegan diet for 6 months, I am slowly incorporating lean meat back into my life. And, I'm loving it! So does my hubby. :)

5.  If I'm going away on a trip, my car (and house) need to be somewhat picked up and fairly clean inside. I know... OCD!

6.  I found a recipe for beet cupcakes and I'm excited about making them for Valentine's Day! I'll let you know if the family approves. :)  

7. Do you plan to homeschool until college?  I get this question a lot. The short answer is we take it year by year and see where the Lord leads us. But if it were up to us, the answer is YES...  Also, if you knew our thoughts on college, you'd probably think we were strange. :)

8.  I usually fall asleep somewhere between 9-10 and wake up naturally around 5am. I can't remember the last time I slept in 'til 7. And that includes weekends and vacations. I’m grateful for this schedule because it gives me some time to myself in the morning, when all is quiet. It’s a gift!   

9.  I was absolutely captivated by Les Miserables. We rarely go to the movies but I managed to talk Morgan into taking me to see this on our last date night. What an incredibly story about love and sacrifice. If you break it down, it's the story of the gospel set amongst the French Revolution. A haunting story that stays with you, in a good way.

10.  I've made peace with Facebook... (I think). It is what it is. And thankfully, I know anything can be a ministry. I have to say though, I know these social sites are all about “connecting” but nothing beats spending time with a “real live” friend. I’d gladly take one “real” friend over 300 Facebook friends any day. Like anything else, I still have to be intentional and guard my time. Most importantly, I have to remember who I serve.

11.  I'm loving my new haircut! It's a nice change and I’ve totally embraced it. Thank you, Grace for giving me the bravery to cut it!

12. What advice would you give a new homeschooling family?  Begin with the end in mind. In other words, get your eye on the big picture. Stop comparing yourself to the public or private schools, your friends, or even other homeschoolers. Listen and be open to God’s plan for your family. For us, homeschooling is first and foremost about discipleship and training. This journey has allowed us to create and embrace a godly vision for our family. It took a couple of years to unschool ourselves from everything we “thought” school was or should be. And once we broadened our concept of education, there really was no difference between life and learning. For starters, read "Dumbing Us Down" by John Taylor Gatto.  Also, remember, with the Lord’s grace, you will be your child's best teacher. Miserable faults and all. :)

13.  And last but not least,.. Call me old, I guess but I don’t get the whole #hashtag thing. LOL!

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -