Missy’s Marinated Tomatoes

26 September 2012

Missy's Marinated Tom 007A
What to do with these gorgeous tomatoes?

REE_6173
(via the Pioneer Woman)
I made these marinated tomatoes to take to a dinner party the other night.

REE_6184
(via the Pioneer Woman)
They doubled as an appetizer and a side salad.
So, who’s Missy?
Missy is the Pioneer Woman's sister-in-law. Apparently, she brings these tomatoes over every Fourth of July party. Now I know why!

I don't know any Missy's. Well, I take that back. I did growing up. She was pretty, popular, skinny, and insecure (weren't we all? i mean the insecure part). We were friends.

I have a couple of sweet girlfriend's named Melissa but they are definitely not Missy's. At least not to me anyway. It's a bit like calling me Cathy. Um, no thanks. Cat, Catherine, maybe even Cate.
But Cathy? Suddenly, I'm 5 again. And I may not answer you.
Anyhow, where was I?

These marinated little jewels are truly scrumptious and they only get better with time. I'm so glad I saved some of the marinade (makes a ton) because the next day, I craved them again. I sliced up the leftover tomatoes I had in the morning and by lunch time, I was re-living the cool, fresh, flavor- packed morsels of summer!

I wish I had made these at the beginning of summer instead of at the end. Oh well.
Hey, we only have two seasons here in the desert anyway. :) 

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Canola Oil(I used half EVOO)
  • 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 4 Tablespoons Sugar (or Agave for sweetener) 
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 3 whole Green Onions, Sliced
  • 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley
  • 18 whole Basil Leaves (chiffonade)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Thyme
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced Finely
  • 2 pounds Tomatoes, Cut Into Quarters, if big or Halves, if small.
Preparation Instructions
Combine all ingredients except tomatoes in a large glass bowl. Whisk to combine, then add tomatoes. (You can up the quantity of tomatoes if need be.) Use regular red tomatoes, or a mixture of red, yellow, heirloom, etc. Use different sizes of tomatoes, too. Very pretty!

Allow to marinate for at least 3 to 4 hours, several hours if possible. Tomatoes will give off liquid as they marinate.

Use leftover tomatoes to make bruschetta or top on hot pasta. Enjoy!
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -