A Confession and the Value of Hard Work

07 September 2012




So, I have a confession to make.  Well, it's not really a confession.

I mean, it's not like I've ever tried to hide this topic (if it ever came up).

But at the same time, it wasn't something I was particularly eager to share.

You see, I used to have a cleaning lady.  Her name was Gloria.

I got her when the girls were about two... when we lived in the big house.

She was a welcomed sight.  I was a little overwhelmed at the time- trying to raise 2 toddlers, working in ministry, and taking care of a 3,000 sq. ft. home.  She only came once a month but boy, did I look forward to those days!  

She said I kept the house pretty clean on my own.  Um, yeah, I know... I'm sort of a Type A, neat and tidy person like that.  I can't seem to think straight if the house is messy for too long.  I'm still working on that.

After looking forward to Gloria's visits every month for the past 4 years, I finally decided it was time to let her go.  Why?

I had recently been struggling in the area of teaching my children the value of work (i.e. completing a job, doing it to the best of their ability, with a joyful heart, without complaint, and most importantly, for the Lord).

Sure, they knew how to do certain chores but truth be told, I wasn't requiring them to do anything consistently (other than their personal responsibilities like making their beds, picking up their books and toys, feeding their fish, etc.)  

Instead, I found myself in a familiar cycle of grumbling while I worked.  All the while, looking forward to Gloria's monthly visit as if she were Santa Claus or something.  

Yes, the house always looked and smelled clean right after she left.  However, it didn't take very long before the dirt (and the anxiety) would build up again.

Last month, the Holy Spirit convicted me of what I must do.

Want less grumbling?  Want to teach your kids the value of hard work?  Want to do it all for the glory of the Lord?

Me:  YES!!!

Don't outsource your work.  Do it yourself and teach your kids the joy of hard work, alongside you.

They're old enough to do it.    

Love, 
Holy Spirit 

P.S.  You'll thank me in the end.


So, I sat the girls down one day and I told them about my little conversation with God.  I told them that I didn't want them to grow up without learning what it means to work hard at something.  They understood and although they will miss Miss Gloria, they happily agreed to help me around the house.  

As this new school year begins, while most first graders are in their new classrooms, learning about reading, writing, and arithmetic (we do some of that, too), we have a new subject to add and master!  It's called working for the Lord and we spend one day a week, cleaning house and keeping our home for the Lord (and for the girls' future families, God willing).  If you think about it, it's as important as any "school" subject, really.    

Today, we pumped up the worship music and the girls and I worked!  We cleaned for 2 hours straight, without one single complaint.  From any of us. :)  

It also blessed my heart to hear wonderful words come out of their mouths while they worked.  My two favorites were:

"Mom, when I grow up, I want to teach my kids how to work for the Lord, too!  I'm not going to have a cleaning woman come to my house.  I'm going to do it myself and teach my kids!" -Faith 

And...

"I love working for the Lord!!" -Grace

I have to admit, having the girls help me with the entire house requires a little more patience and compromise on my part.  I realize they are not professional cleaners and that's OK.  However, the fruits of our combined labor is sweet and I can already feel the sense of contentment and gratitude wash over me.   

I also overheard the girls planning to start a cleaning business together one day soon!  They wanted to raise enough money to give to the poor and maybe start regular dance classes. :)     



The LORD your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands.
-Deut. 2:7

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.
-Col. 3:23
Coombs said...

Just checking in...looks like you guys had a great summer! Glad to hear that you still love homeschooling! Everyone looks great and the girls are really starting to look so different! They are beautiful! Miss you guys!

The Letter 'W' said...

teagan would love to help them clean!! haha

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -