13 Reasons Why I Love to Homeschool

17 July 2012



1.  Meals.  Every day, we get to have breakfast, lunch and dinner- together as a family.  And Yes! that even includes daddy on most days. I will forever be grateful for all our precious time around the family table!

2.  Discovering Learning Styles.  As with every child, our girls have different learning styles, interests, strengths, and weaknesses.  After 3 years of educating them at home, I'm just beginning to get a grasp of what makes them unique.  Homeschooling gives them the encouragement and permission to become individuals, rather than being constantly compared to one another, just because they're twins.  Believe me, us parents can often get trapped into comparing them, too.  With the Lord's help, we are ever so mindful of that.  

3.  Freedom.  We study what we want, at our own pace.  In fact, we are redefining what it means to be educated in our family.  Therefore, we are not the least bit interested in any type of conveyor belt schooling, standardized testing or keeping pace with the masses.  Freedom is priceless!

4.  Teaching Biblical Worldview.  We have the privilege and joy of discipling our children 24/7 in the ways of the Lord, with a biblical worldview.  We believe this is our highest priority as Christ following parents.  Secularism will be examined, but only through the filter of God's Word.

5.  The Great Commission.  We have the awesome opportunity to train up our children for the Great Commission.  As Christ followers, is there any greater calling on our lives?  "Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” ~Matthew 28:18-20
    
6.  Rest.  Naps are still mandatory, if mom says so.

7.  Saving Money.  Back to school shopping does not exist.  

8.  Music.  Music lessons take place weekly, in the mornings.  It is an important part of our overall home educating curriculum.


9.  A Heart of Service.  Cultivating a heart of service is one of the primary foundations of our homeschooling efforts.  Being a homeschooling family allows us the time to be open for ministry and service opportunities, any day of the week.  In fact, the girls have started their first ministry together! More on that later...


10.  Clinging to the Cross.  As a homeschooling mom, I get to rely on my need for Christ daily.  Without His grace and sufficiency, I wouldn't have lasted a month!


11.  Our Family Shepherd.  Ultimately, it is Morgan's responsibility to make sure his children are taught in the ways of the Lord. (-Genesis 18:19)  I can tell you that He does not take this charge lightly! As the leader of our home, he is constantly seeking the Lord's council.  Because of Morgan's dedication to homeschooling and active participation, I'm certain his impact will be far more significant than mine. I'm so grateful and blessed by my husband's example, commitment, and vision for our family.  

Halloween 2011

12.  Flexibility.  We can go to bed late or sleep in, any day of the week.  We are never rushed in the mornings and that's a wonderful thing!  Especially since I've realized that I don't do well in hurried situations anyway.  Homeschooling allows us to start our mornings off with peace!


13.  Time.  Last but certainly not least, homeschooling gives us the invaluable gift of time.  I recently had an opportunity to seek advice from a veteran homeschooling mama.  Her two daughters are both grown, married, and serving the Lord.  I happen to know one of her 20 something daughters.  
Daughter:  "I'm so grateful for all the time I had with my family.  I loved being homeschooled and I wouldn't change it for anything."
Mom:  (While reminiscing and choking back tears)  "It goes by way too fast.  When I look back at all the years, it wasn't about the academics.  They learned what they needed to learn and plenty more. It was about the time we spent together that made all those years so precious."


Of course, there are countless other reasons why I love to homeschool but why create this basic list? Because the truth is, although I am incredibly grateful for the passion and opportunity God has given us to homeschool, it doesn't mean that everyday is blissful or easy.  Reminders are often helpful so that we can encourage others (as well as ourselves) and see the big picture.  Homeschooling is a huge responsibility but it's also a tremendous blessing that no list will ever be able to accurately communicate or do it justice.  


The years may bring anxiety, frustration, and plenty of tears but I will never regret being humbled and awestruck by God's hand in it all.  I am forever changed (for the better) because of these precious little children God has entrusted us with for this short season of life.  


And that's something worth remembering.
        
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -