leading my heart back home

30 May 2012

Pinned Image

We’ve got some fun summer activities planned for the girls but our regular routine of any kind of structured schooling has been done for almost 2 weeks.  Looking back, this year has been such a blessing in so many ways.  Unlike prior years, I totally surrendered my agenda to the Lord this year.  I laid down many of my pre-conceived expectations about what a Kindergartener should know.  I also learned to let go of the conveyer belt “one size fits all” type of schooling that most of us are used to.  I want more for my children than just standardized education.  Don’t you?

This year, we also cultivated and created a vision for our girls and for our family.  A vision that not only includes teaching them about God’s calling on their lives but also preparing them to be servant-minded influencers in the world.        

Although we’re taking piano lessons now, we gave up pretty much all our extra-curricular activities during the school year.  Community Bible Study was a huge priority for us and it was the only thing we did outside our home every week.  We rounded out our time with lots of reading, play dates, field trips, and the occasional golf on Saturdays.  This year, I also said no to serving in any type of church ministry. 

Do I believe extra curricular activities are important?  Yes and no.  When they take time away from being a family and when they start eating away at your contentment, peace, joy, and focus, the answer is, “It’s not worth it.”  The hurried life is extremely over-rated.  Simplicity and contentment are far better choices, especially at age 6!  If you know my children, you know that they’re very social but they also LOVE being at home.  And I’m grateful for that. 

How about serving in a church ministry and showing our kids what it means to serve?  I do believe serving is very important.  After all, we are all created to serve.  Although I’ve served in various capacities in the past, this year, I took a break from it all.  Mainly because I felt the Lord was asking me to work on my ministry at home.  What better way to show my children what it means to die to self and serve others, than to do what the Lord himself has called me to do?  I have to admit, for me, learning to do it with a self-less heart, joyfully, is a full-time job, in and of itself.  Truth be told, I’ve learned that I can’t be the kind of mom and wife God calls me to be when I have too many outside distractions pulling at me.  At least not at this stage-- and I’m OK with that.   

Despite the fact that I’ve been home a lot, the Lord has been gracious to open up various opportunities for me to minister to others, all without taking too much time away from my ministry at home.  These opportunities have proven to be great examples for my children because they involve building relationships and saying yes when it comes to encouraging others for Christ… even if public speaking is your least favorite thing!  It’s been truly humbling that God would use me-- an ordinary wife, mom, and sinner. 

And through our children, the Lord has been gracious to show us many fruits from our focused and simplified life this year.  I have no idea what they’re teaching in Kindergarten these days (nor do I care), but I’m pretty sure it’s not dying to self and laying down your life for the sake of someone else’s.  Training our children in grace and truth, with a biblical worldview is not only a privilege but a holy investment that takes time (a lot of time… a lot of nothing time that’s actually everything time).  Does that make any sense?  However, as we continue to seek the Lord and allow Him to guide us in all areas of our lives, we believe that it’s the greatest investment we will ever make.

As God-honoring moms, we need to constantly be on guard when it comes to being the keepers of our home. Are we letting outside distractions steal our precious time and eventually our joy?  Are we comparing ourselves to others and believing the world’s lies that we should be “doing more” or “doing it all”  in order to feel worthy?  Don’t fall into that trap!  God is looking to use and bless those whose hearts are surrendered to Him. 

Besides, the world needs less Super Women and more Abiding Women.  Amen?

So, here’s the tough question for you…

Has the Lord been asking you to give up something?  Something that’s been getting in the way of you being the fully present keeper of your home?  Remember, just because He’s asking you to give it up now, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s forever.  There’s a season for everything.

I encourage you to pray about it.  Search your heart for any areas where selfish tendencies or the praise and attention of others lurks.  Seek the advice of your husband.  He probably knows where you’re heart is being pulled.  Most importantly, listen for the Father’s wisdom. 

I know I can’t do it all.  Something’s gotta give.  It comes down to the fact that I know, without a doubt, where God wants me most.  Turns out, it’s the exact place where I have the ability to grow, learn, serve, be challenged, and ultimately (just as Christ did), die to myself for the sake of someone else. 

Is there any greater calling?

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -