A Letter to My Children About Marriage

02 February 2012

writing

Do all little girls dream about their wedding day? 

I don’t remember doing so as a child but my girls sure do.  They love to dress up as the lovely bride.  They don their long white dresses, carrying a pretty bouquet of flowers while asking daddy to play their handsome “groom.”  Perhaps they were a bit enamored with the family wedding we attended last year?  It’s true, they do enjoy watching our wedding video, each year on our anniversary.  Maybe they’re fascinated with the idea of a wedding because mommy and daddy make marriage seem so… blissful?  Ha!  One can hope. 

Whatever their fascination, my girls are at the age where I can talk to them openly about the truth when it comes to weddings.  Anytime they bring up their wedding day, I say,

“You know, a wedding lasts only a day but a marriage lasts a lifetime.” 

I don’t say this of course to squelch their girlie imaginations but simply because it is the sobering truth.  It’s my way of saying, “We should spend more time learning about the qualities that will help us become a godly wife and spend less time, day-dreaming about how poufy our wedding dress might be.” (smile)

Kelly, at Generation Cedar wrote this counter cultural letter to her children regarding marriage.  In a world where grounds for divorce or shall I say, “irreconcilable differences” actually means, “he changed”, “she changed”, “we just don’t see eye to eye anymore” or “it just got too hard.” I think her post is timeless, powerful and chock-full of wisdom for the next generation.   

Dear Children,

Should the Lord give you the good gift of a husband or wife, and I hope He does, there are a few things I want you to know. Things that you may not hear from anyone else, and certainly not on TV or other media. Sadly, your church may not even tell you.

Marriage, sweet little people, is not for the purpose of your happiness. Happy as I want you to be and hope you will be, you must yet understand that marriage is God’s design and His purposes must be pursued in order for you to be truly happy. His end is holiness and He will use all things in a life devoted to Him to fulfill that end.

Whether you are blessed with a daughter or a son, read the rest here.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -