Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle & the Joy of Reading

06 January 2012

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Everyone loves Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.  She lives in an upside-down house and smells like cookies. She was even married to a pirate once.  Most of all, she knows everything about children. She can cure them of any ailment. Patsy hates baths.  Hubert never puts anything away.  Allen eats v-e-r-y slowly. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle has a treatment for all of them.  The incomparable Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle loves children, good or bad, and never scolds or yells but has positive cures for “Answer-Backers”, “Never-Want-to-Go-to-Bedders”, and other boys and girls with strange habits. 

The girls and I enjoyed some fun giggles and good discussion while reading this book.  When reading to the girls, aside from the cuddles on the couch, I love seeing how they personally connect with something in the story, therefore, helping them to recognize and reflect on something in their own lives.  Stories can teach us valuable lessons that stay with us for years.   

All of us have caught the reading bug over here.  In addition to Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, the girls have recently enjoyed:  The Dragons of Blueland, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Swiss Family Robinson, and Anne of Green Gables.  All entertaining and great reads.  We plan to read them again and again.     

I’ve come up with a new “10 minute silent reading time” for me and the girls throughout the day.  During this 10 minutes, we all read on our own- in complete silence.  I use the time to read a chapter of my own book or sometimes, I just sit there on the couch with my feet up and my eyes closed.  Something that never happened before… It’s been wonderful!!  I’ve come to love this time because it helps us learn how to be still.  In the bible, we talked about how Jesus would often spend time alone so that he could pray and hear the voice of God.  Psalm 46:10 says, “Be still and know that I am God.”  Silence is not only peaceful but it allows us to hear His voice and bask in His presence.  By having this quiet time, it also shows my girls that mommy likes to read things on her own. too.  Or on some days (like yesterday), it shows them that mommy just needs 10 (or 20) minutes to rest, without interruption. (smile)    

As for Morgan and I, we’ve been spending more nights where we are lying in bed reading, rather than watching TV.  I love it!  I’ve managed to read 6 books in the last couple of months (that’s a lot for me).  I’m usually lucky if I finish 6 books in one year.  I’m also working on creating a list of books that I’d like to read.  I’m mostly a non-fiction, Christian book reader but occasionally, I’ll indulge in the fiction writing of Francine Rivers.  Redeeming Love is one of my favorite books!  To me, books make the perfect gift.  They’re meaningful, they last, they can be re-read, loaned and treasured for years. 

2012 is already off to a great start in the reading department!   

For all you avid readers out there, what are some of your non-fiction must-reads or favorites?  Do share!

Linda M said...

You are an Amazing Woman. You Touch lives! ♥

I love "For his Glory" Wow!

Hosanna in the Highest!,

♥ Linda M

I appreciate you share your life in such a fantastic Way!

Glory be to GOD the Most High!

Mekeisha said...

I also love non-fiction. Redeeming Love is a great book - have you ever read the Mark of the Lion series? It is by the same author. One of my friends (not a big reader) said she read the series, so I had to check it out, since it was several hundred pages. I read it three years in a row around Christmas time. Very engaging.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -