Italian Sausage Soup with Beans and Kale

08 December 2011

Italian Sausage Soup 002
My girlfriend, Hailey made this amazing soup and brought it to our Christmas party the other day.  At the time, I devoured 2 helpings and I’ve been dreaming about the flavors ever since.  Growing up, soup was a big part of our Korean cuisine.  It’s not uncommon for Koreans to eat soup as a meal or as an accompaniment, 3x’s a day. 
Yup, soup is pretty much SOUPER in my book!  I’m so thrilled that Hailey passed along her recipe.  As if she had any choice!  Ha!  Seriously, though… this is my new favorite winter soup and I just had to share it here.  It’s hearty, healthy, extremely flavorful, and hits every taste bud.  Such a winner in every way! 
I added fennel, beans, and kale to mine (which by the way, kale is my new obsession!).  You have to give this a try! 
It’s that good.  Thanks, Hai!
Italian Sausage Soup w/Beans and Kale
1 large diced onion
1 diced fennel bulb
2 stalks of celery chopped
2 carrot stems chopped
sauté in EVOO until tender
remove veggies from pot and brown 3 Italian sausage links (casings removed). I used turkey but any will do.  (If you use pork, you may want to drain off the fat before adding the veggies back in). 
4 cans of low sodium chicken stock
1 -28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
3 oz. of tomato paste
1 t. dried oregano
About 15 whole garlic cloves
Simmer on low for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
10 minutes before serving…
add 2 diced zucchini
some chopped kale (as much as you’d like)  and 1 can of Cannellini beans
Salt & pepper to taste.
Serve with parmesan cheese on top (a must!) and crusty bread.  Serves 8
You could double the recipe and freeze the leftovers. 
*Spinach could also be used instead of kale but the kale is so hearty, it stands up well to the soup.  Also, the whole garlic cloves make this soup for me.  They melt in your mouth and add a ton of flavor.  Try it and let me know what you think!
Hailey said...

Isn't this the best? I totally want to try it with the Kale. I think it would be good with chicken/basil sausage too. AND . . . I add twice as much garlic as you do - it's just too good! I agree - totally makes the soup! I got from Melissa and we all do it a little different - that's what I LOVE about SOUP!

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -