How to Give Hugs

09 February 2011

My girls and I have an affectionate term we use called, the "Morning Hug." Our hugs of course, are not always reserved for just the morning, but the first hug of the day (usually soon after the girls are awake), is particularly special. It's one of those whole body hugs. I typically prepare myself by sitting down on their level. This way, our bodies can have more physical contact. Sometimes, during the long and lingering embrace, they may even wrap their legs around me tight. I often snuggle their necks, caress their hair, and cover them with kisses. I particularly LOVE starting out our day with "morning hugs." Last week, we were on our way to CBS and Faith reminded me in the car, "Mom, we forgot to do our morning hug!" She followed by saying, "As soon as we get there, I'll give you one, OK?" :)

The morning hug for me has also come to symbolize: You are loved. You are cherished. You are worthy and special to me. I'm so happy to see you this morning! And I adore you.

I think the thing I love most about our morning hugs is the actual length of the embrace. It's a special moment in time that I share with each of my kids. It's a time where our hearts are intertwined and we feel emotionally connected to one another. It's something I look forward to every morning and a wonderful way to start the day.

Sometimes my husband gets these kind of hugs, too. Occasionally in the morning but especially when he comes home from a long day of work or a business trip. Sadly and quite honestly though, he doesn't get as many as the kids and certainly not as many as he deserves.

That got me thinking about hugs in general.

We all need that physical contact don't we? A hug should be more than just a "pat". A hug is an expression of your heart; a moment when two hearts meet and are briefly sewn together. A hug can mean a thousand words without talking. It can mean, "I seek peace or I don't want to fight anymore." It can mean, "I can't thank you enough or I deeply appreciate you." A hug can mean, "Oh, how I've missed you so!"

I wouldn't consider myself to be a great hugger by any means. I'm also not one that does the "pat". You know, the "pat." The social and polite hug that communicates, "I'm not really all that comfortable or let's just get the formalities over with."

On the other hand, I am endeavoring to become a better hugger to all, not just my immediate family. My friend, Hailey gives great hugs. They're strong, deliberate, and filled with love. Ones that say, "I'm so happy to see you and you are valued, friend."

I think I'm more the type of hugger that imitates the hug I receive. Instead, I'm challenging myself to give more of myself away... to linger a little while longer... to be more intentional. Perhaps even to risk a bit more.

"You can't wrap love in a box but you can wrap a person in a hug." ~Author Unknown

"We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth." ~Virginia Satir

With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I'd say it's the perfect time to get practicing!
The Letter 'W' said...

i was thinking of hailey as i was reading this, too. :)

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -