Tra-di-tion (\trə-ˈdi-shən\)

14 December 2010

noun: the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction.

I'm a traditional gal. Well, sort of. I love the art and simplicity of family traditions. Having young children, I'm constantly creating (whether I'm aware of it or not) new traditions every day.

I would easily describe myself as a "traditional gal with a flair for the modern." I love timeless pieces (with a little splash of bling). For example, I fell in love with my engagement band the moment I saw it. I remember when I picked it out. Morgan had proposed to me with a gorgeous diamond ring on a plain platinum band. It was plain on purpose because he knew I had a specific taste when it comes to jewelry (smart man). Truthfully, I'm not really a jewelry person (except for some fun costume jewelry). For my engagement band, he wanted me to pick out something that I really loved, hence the plain band (which I had soldered together and now wear as my wedding band). I also remember how surprised he was when after shopping for only a short time,
I announced that I had found it! He asked, "Are you sure? You don't want to look around some more? Nope. I love it and I know I'll love it forever... I still do.

I enjoy the stability, foundation and reliability of being "traditional" not only in my personal style but also in my ideals and values. I fancy lace, pearls, rose embellishments, Craftsman style homes, wood floors, a classic martini (once in a blue moon), and a library of books. I enjoy listening to the likes of Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington.

This time of year, it's no surprise then that I also love creating new traditions for my family. In addition to our advent activities each night, I started incorporating another tradition last week. I liked it so much that I wanted to share it. I read about it somewhere recently and to be quite honest, I can't remember where right now. Darn memory. Anyhow, here's what we do...

We keep our Christmas cards (the ones we receive from family and friends) in a decorative Christmas basket each year. We've been allowing the girls to pick out a card each night and then we say a prayer for those two families. It gives us a chance to talk about that family and what they may be going through at the moment. It started out as an advent activity for one night but now, it's turned into more of a nightly thing. Hopefully, by Christmas, we will have specifically prayed for every family in our basket. It's so simple, yet so meaningful in countless ways. I can see us doing this for years to come, no matter how old the girls get. They love looking at the cards and pictures and asking about each family. It's just another great way for us to take the focus off ourselves and turn it into a blessing for others.

Tradition for me means comfort, love, assurance and romance all wrapped in one. What more could a girl want? :)

So, what are some of your favorite traditions over the holidays? Past or present. I'd love to hear about them.
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -