10 Things I Now Know At 40 That I Wish I Knew At 20

18 October 2010

So, I started thinking about this list about a month or two ago... At 20 years old, I was living on my own, just 2 hours away from home in San Diego. I was going to college full time at SDSU and working part time at Home Depot. I was enjoying the new found freedom and independence I had-- maybe a little too much. I thought I knew everything; turns out I knew very little. Sounds cliche' but I can't believe how fast 20 years went by. In some ways, I don't feel much older than 30. But at 40 years old, I realize that I'm no spring chicken anymore! At the same time, I'm giddy and excited about what the future holds. I heard recently that Life begins at 40. Literally speaking, of course it doesn't but I totally understand the sentiment and spirit behind this statement. I have 40 years of life experiences behind me now. At 40, I know where I'm going. I have found my way and I am on my way. I have experienced love, loss, pride and humility.
I have experienced forgiveness, grace, hope and trust. Maybe the most important lesson I've learned thus far... life is not about me. Life is an amazing journey and discovery to the heart of God. I truly couldn't be more grateful for the last 40 years. I wonder what I'll know at 60 that I wish I had known at 40? :-)

1. Let your passion shape your profession. Find out what you're passionate about and do it from that place of joy and contentment. There are plenty of professional musicians, athletes, writers, and dancers. You can be anything you want to be.

2. Don't waste your time trying to make Mr. Wrong, Mr. Right. Although I believe you learn something from every relationship, wasting your time on people who don't value or respect you, only prolongs the process of who you were truly meant to be.

3. Don't strive for things that are meaningless. Money, fame, status, and material possessions never lead to true contentment or happiness... duh.

4. Commit yourself to making mistakes. Mistakes teach us important lessons. Lessons that we may have never learned by staying on the sidelines. In life, it's rarely about getting a chance; it's about taking a chance.

5. Every chance you get, travel. Once you have seen the world, it will seem like a much smaller place. Once you have seen something with your own eyes, it's easier to become more responsible. It challenges our narcissistic way of thinking. There is much to be learned from other people and places.

6. Check your pride. Where there is pride, there can be no love. If you think you're not prideful, there's a very good chance you probably are. Humility is one of the great lost virtues.

7. Be mindful of the company you keep. Don't surround yourself with people who make you feel bad about yourself or simply don't have an encouraging word to offer. Everyone needs the blessing of encouragement. Life is hard enough without people putting you down.

8. Don't believe the lies (there are so many but specifically, lies in the mirror). Be kind to yourself. Perfection is your enemy. Knowing how precious and beautiful you are to God is the first step in accepting the unique and wonderful way you were made. This is the beginning of true and lasting beauty.

9. Marry your best friend. The one who you deeply love, laugh with, respect, and can count on for anything. Only marry someone who brings out the best in you, but also makes you strive to be a better person. To have a best friend who also happens to be your husband is an awesome gift!

10. Be who you were born to be. Don’t waste your life fulfilling someone else’s dreams, desires, or expectations. Mark Twain wrote, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do." Aim to have as few regrets as possible.
Courtney said...

Aww! Love love love!! Especially 7 and 10. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow I turn 40. I stumbled across your blog by accident (so I thought). I realize now God lead me to it. Thank you for sharing such wonderful insight!

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -