The Oak Inside The Acorn

14 August 2010

I stumbled across this heartwarming book at our local library. A treasure worth sharing...

Brief summary: Max Lucado writes a touching parable that encourages children to be the best they can be for God. It also reminds parents to focus on their children's God-given abilities, while children will see that all they need to do is to, "Just be the tree God made you to be."

Little Acorn sees himself as very small and he's unsure of what he's supposed to do in life. Eventually he grows into Big Oak, but he still wonders about his purpose. Though he tries as hard as he can, he can't grow oranges like his friends the orange trees, or produce beautiful flowers like his friends Pink Petunia or Rosie. But finally, he discovers that his mighty branches were created for a very special purpose.

By the 3rd page, I noticed silent tears streaming down both Faith and Grace's face. By the way, this has never happened before while reading a story. They snuggled up even closer to me. By the last few pages of the book, it was me that could hardly keep it together. I was balling as I tried to finish the last couple of pages and it was my sweet girls who were trying to comfort me.

This is a beautiful story about embracing the miracle in every life and encouraging the uniqueness of our children. It's a story about growing up, leaving home one day, searching for your purpose, then finding what God gave you to begin with.

Although we have often talked to the girls about the day they will eventually leave for college or get married, this book did a great job of creating the visual and mental analogy of leaving the nest and finding your way. I'm not sure why I was so emotional. I guess for the first time, it really made me think about the day the girls will leave for college and how my heart will be so full and yet so empty at the same time. Ok, a little confession... I thought it was a little odd (and dramatic) when my mom cried as I left for college, only 2 hours away from home. I'm now quite certain that I will probably be a wreck and need a whole box of tissues on that day.

The beautiful part about reading this story to my girls was the fact that they "got it." Maybe not in the vast deepness that I felt it's impact or words but in their very own little 4 year-old way, they got it. That's why I love to read with my kids. It's actually a wonderful bonding and learning experience that we share together.

The Oak Inside The Acorn is worth buying, keeping, and re-reading for years to come.
Hailey said...

We just finished the book! Perhaps I shouldn't have read it before bedtime. We both cried for about 20 minutes and I had to answer a gazillion questions. Wouldn't trade that moment for the world.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -