Hasty Heart

03 May 2010


We live in a fast-paced world. More often then not, I find myself running from one task to the next. In these rushed moments, I am constantly telling my children and sometimes, even my husband to 'hurry up'. Sound familiar?

Are you more concerned about checking off everything on your to-do list for the day- at the expense of yourself and your loved ones? Do you get easily angered with those around you because they are not moving as fast as you'd like?

God is not impressed with hastiness. "Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for him." ~Proverbs 29:20

Here's the bottom line- hastiness leads to sin. I have been that fool and it's important for me to learn the difference between haste and speed.

I know I'm being hasty when irritation and anxiety begin to form in the pit of my stomach. This often accompanies a harsh tone of voice, perhaps an exasperated sigh, or maybe even the rolling of my eyes. In these moments, let's face it, I am not what God wants me to be. I'm not setting a good example for my children and I am certainly not behaving in a way that shows respect and honor to my husband.

What is at the root of this hasty heart? We only find sin--pride, selfishness, putting other people or things before our families, etc. Hastiness only leads to foolish mistakes. And foolish mistakes do not lead to a life of abundance or a peaceful walk with God.

"Hasty people miss God because God is never in a hurry. He doesn't change His pace to walk with people. He requires people to change their pace to walk with Him. A man rushing through life, running over everything and everyone that gets in his way, will not hear the voice of God. His hurried efforts create too much chaos for him to enjoy God's presence."
-Bob Shultz, Created for Work

Most of all- hastiness drives out the love in the work we were called to do. Obviously, this is not what the Lord intended for us moms. We must discipline ourselves to slow down and learn to enjoy and embrace the moments with our precious family. There will always be a to-do list, long after they are gone.

I don't know about you but most days, my heart longs to slow down. Lately, God has been stripping away some 'stuff' in me. Stuff that I didn't even know I was still carrying. He's been showing me glimpses of a fuller life. A life that involves long walks, playing in the dirt, collecting ladybugs, leaves and seashells, and exploring God's creation with my children. He's calling me into a simpler and more abundant life, grounded by the less-hurried heart.

I love to hear from God. It's what keeps me inspired, challenged, and growing. He always speaks truth into my life and although I may sometimes confuse my own will for His will, He is always, always right. Go figure. :) I don't want to make foolish mistakes that lead to sin. I don't want to miss the blessing He wants to pour into our homes and into our lives. As with so many other things, it must begin with prayer and discipline. Let us slow down and cultivate a still heart, so that we may clearly and often hear the voice of God.
Genny said...

this is SO me right now. Thanks for sharing...

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -