Love. Speak. Give. Embrace.

05 January 2010

Like so many people, I am excited about all the possibilities and promise that a brand new year holds. I suppose that's why I like to pack up all the Christmas decorations and get the house looking like new before January 1st actually arrives. Personally, I just don't like starting the New Year cleaning up from the last. There is something really cathartic about closing another chapter, another year. I wish I could say that I have a whole list of resolutions that I'd like to share and follow this year, but I don't. I guess I'm wising up to the fact that whatever I want or have planned, it may be entirely different from what God has planned for me. If nothing else, I'm learning to be flexible. That's not to say though, that I don't have desires or goals. In fact, I feel like I'm constantly trying to better myself in all areas of my life. Thankfully, the older I get, I'm also learning to give myself a break.

The truth is, I am eager to master the art of contentment. I'm talking about true, deep, honest contentment. The kind that brings real peace, joy, and satisfaction, in spite of life's circumstances. I mean, come on? What's there not to be content and joyful about? I am the apple of God's eye, a daughter to the King, worth more than rubies, and a co-heir with Christ- just to name a few aliases!

More than the earthly or temporal desires that me and most people have
(for me, it's things like staying fit, cleaning out our garage, or starting some new home improvement project), I'm choosing to focus more this year on my spiritual desires. There are four and they are categorized like this...

*Love Deeper *Speak Sweeter *Give Grace *Embrace Eternity

Love Deeper- I'd like to work on building deeper relationships. This goes for family, friends, acquaintances, and even people I don't know. I believe that God wants me to show and initiate more love and compassion towards others. Jesus said that the second most important commandment is to, "Love your neighbor as yourself." ~Mark 12:31

Speak Sweeter- This one is pretty self-explanatory. I'm endeavoring to speak kindly about and to everyone. For me, it's often a matter of tone. Just like the saying goes... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all, right? The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat it's fruit. ~Proverbs 18:21. I am also reminded of Ephesians 4:2. "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."

Give Grace
- I'll admit it. Extending grace is a hard one for me but it's something that I am fiercely passionate about learning to do, especially towards my children. I love what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:10, "But by the grace of God, I am what I am, and His grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them- yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me." Grace is God's unmerited favor and it is the greatest gift that I have received. I have to remember that in my life, grace is what's made all the difference.

Embrace Eternity- As Christians, we all know that earthly things do not last. Even so, it's so easy to get side-tracked! After all, just about everything in our everyday life revolves around the here and now (i.e. our jobs, struggles, hobbies, and desires). Instead, I want to focus more on keeping an eternal perspective with things like building a deeper relationship with God, loving others, helping those in need, working on my weaknesses, and always finding ways to praise God. I don't want the earthly things to rob me of the joy and calling that God has intended for me.

Last week, Morgan and I took some time in prayer to thank God for His faithfulness over the past year and together, we petitioned God with thanksgiving for all that is to come this New Year. I am excited to see how my life will be simplified and prioritized as a result of this spiritual focus. At least, that's the goal. Like everyone else, I too, often find myself falling prey to the many distractions of this world. I shudder to think of how many times I got irritated or raised my voice, simply because I was in a hurry to be somewhere. Of course, it had nothing to do with the fact that I could have pre-planned better, had less on my schedule, or used my time more wisely! Sheesh...

Basically, it comes down to me wanting to be more like Jesus and less like me. I'm so ready. Being me can be exhausting sometimes. Here's to a God-filled, God inspired, and God willing 2010!
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -