Beloved Grandma

02 July 2009

I will miss you dearly.

Saying farewell at Rose Hills.

My dear sweet grandma was laid to rest yesterday. Although I am saddened by her loss, I am grateful that she did not suffer for an extended period of time. For most of her 96 years, she lived relatively healthy. My grandma leaves behind a legacy of faith, dedication, love, and loyalty. About 30 years ago, she came from Korea to the United States to live with us. A few years later, when my aunt moved here as well, she and my aunt got a place of their own. Ever since then, the two have been inseparable. My aunt has not only been her devoted daughter, she was also her best friend and primary caretaker. My grandma has been a part of every family childhood memory, as far back as I can remember. Like many grandmothers, mine doted on her 4 remaining children, 8 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren. She enjoyed eating, laughing, spending time with family and friends, praying, and attending church. Often, you would find her in prayer when you stopped by to visit her. We take great comfort in knowing that she is finally home and in the loving arms of our Lord and Savior. Thank you all for your many thoughts and prayers during this time of great loss for our family. Grandma, you are a cherished blessing and we love you very much.

We told the girls about grandma's passing the morning after we found out. The conversation went well as we talked about heaven, God, Jesus, and seeing grandma again someday. A couple of days later, Grace and I had another conversation about it...

Grace: Wong-Halmoni is in heaven now?
me: Yup, that's right. We won't see her again until we go to heaven.
Grace: Am I going to die too?
me: Well, yes. We're all going to die someday but hopefully it won't be for a long time. And when we do, we will go to heaven just like Wong-Halmoni because we believe and trust in Jesus, too. We will all be together someday with God and Jesus.
Grace: Yeah!
Grace: Is Wong-Halmoni all better now?
me: Yes, she's not sick anymore.
Grace: She's not in the hospital?
me: No, she's up in heaven with God. That's why we can't see her.
Grace: Is she eating now?
me: Yup, she's eating lots of yummy food.
Grace: Is she laughing now?
me: Yup, she's smiling and laughing.
Grace: Is she dancing, too?
me: (Getting teary-eyed) Yes, sweetie. I'm sure she's dancing, too.
The Letter 'W' said...

cat, i got teary reading about your grandma. she sounds like a wonderful lady and what a great legacy she left for her family. what a blessing! i am still praying for you and your family. love you!!

Anila said...

Good to read that you have such fond memories of your gran.
She will be missed but remenbered with lots of love.

Becky said...

Sorry about the passing of your grandma. Sounds like the Lord is working through Grace and your Grandma's spirit is very much alive!

Hailey said...

so precious. thanks for sharing with us.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -