My Little Shadows

28 March 2008

I stumbled across this sweet poem and of course it reminded me of my little shadows that follow me everywhere I go. That is, unless daddy is available. :) This also brings to mind a question that some moms have asked me... "How do you even take a shower in the morning?" Well, the girls follow me to our bathroom where they sit on the step outside of our shower door and play. Otherwise, they play on the floor of our bathroom, waiting for me to get done so that they can hand me a towel. For the most part, they giggle and play together nicely. They know that they aren't supposed to do certain things like open the drawers or throw anything into the bathtub. They also know that I can see their every move through the glass door. Just this week, while I was taking a shower, I sent Grace to a timeout for attempting to bite Faith. To my delight, when I got out of the shower to check on her, there she was, quietly sitting on the designated "timeout mat." She had walked all the way from our bathroom to the living room area on her own. Of course, this is no giant feat on it's own but to know that you are being punished and to follow through with the consequences anyway, took great obedience and focus. She could've easily got distracted on her walk and ended up playing with toys or better yet, just flat ignoring me. I was a proud mommy.

Her Little Shadows

I saw a young mother with eyes full of laughter
And two little shadows came following after.
Wherever she moved, they were always right there;
Holding on to her skirts, hanging on to her chair,
Before her, behind her; an adhesive pair.
"Don't you ever get weary, as day by day,
Your two little tagalongs get in your way?"
She smiled as she shook her pretty young head,
And I'll always remember the words that she said:
"It's good to have shadows that run when you run
That laugh when you're happy and hum when you hum-
For you only have shadows
When your life's full of sun."

-Barbara Burrow

The Letter 'W' said...

That is very impressive Miss Grace! It must be the age because Teagan has tried to bite me twice in the last week. I don't get the thrill. Maybe I should ask a two year old why it is so fun. HaHa

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -