Golf 'n stuff

21 August 2006

As usual, the summer's flying by. Mostly, because I've been busy with my part-time job at the golf course. Since May, I've been working in the pro shop at the local Country Club. I usually work 3 days a week, no weekends, and no nights. It's perfect because I can still focus on my priorities like spending time with Morgan, family, friends, exercise, church, and travel. It's been a wonderful blessing and a fun way to spend the summer. This job was certainly unexpected but God must have known that it would be good for me. I work with kind people in a friendly, casual, and beautiful setting. One of the great perks of the job is free golf for both Morgan and I. Needless to say, Morgan feels like I've landed the "dream job."

Golf is an interesting game. I took it up last Spring, half-thinking (boldly), "I could do this. I'm coordinated, athletic, and I can pretty much play any sport decently." The other half of me knew that it would somehow bring out the worst in me. It did just the latter. Golf is not for the faint of heart. It's a game that exposes parts of your inner character. Very quickly, it shined a light on my temperament, frustrations, lack of patience, and deep competitive drive. Thankfully though, it's also taught me some valuable lessons along the way. I've learned more about humility, patience, control (or lack there of), surrender, and peace.

It's said that, "You know a man better after playing a round of golf than working across the desk from him for 10 years." I guess the frustrations of golf also explain why most people who take it up, quit within the year. Morgan has been playing for over 30 years now and I must say, I have a much better understanding and respect for his struggles, as well as his triumphs, on the golf course. Golf is a mental and physical game but no amount of physical power can overcome what's needed mentally. I'm thankful that God uses all things in my life to stretch and grow me.

Although I'm busier this summer, I still manage my other job as domestic engineer at home. It's been a little more of a juggle but I have no complaints. Life is good. Starting in mid-September, I'll be starting Oasis (women's bible study) again on Tuesdays. Because of my commitment and love for this ministry at our church, I'll probably cut back by working only 2 days a week at the golf course. Until then, I'm thoroughly enjoying what's left of summer.
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -