June 2019 Book Review

28 June 2019


Well, 1/3 of our summer is nearly in the books! We've enjoyed the longest spring season that I can remember over here. And it's been wonderful! We're not complaining either because June has been relatively mild, too.

Bring it on, July! We're ready for you!

This month, I managed to get through 3 books.

First up, A Practical Guide to Culture.

This book was a beast and might go down as my favorite book of the year so far.
Why? Because it was so meaty and relevant and important in today's culture.
This book was written to help Christians, especially Christian parents, navigate a culture that is growing in its hostility to the Christian worldview. The book is organized into four parts. Part one lays out what culture is and why it is important to understand it. Part two explains how the current culture effects how we see ourselves, through the lenses of technology, identity, relationships and maturity. Part three deals with contemporary sexuality, and can serve as a reference guide. Part four wraps up dealing with the grounding of our Christian worldview. 

Each chapter was rich and worthy of pondering and discussion. I feel like I could read this book every year and get more out of it. Also, it's definitely something I want our kids to read (and discuss together) when they reach high school age. Most of all, I loved the encouragement to engage the culture. By engaging instead of retreating or complaining, we have the power to change it. We were born for such a time as this.
I highly recommend this book!

Next up was Different.

I love Sally Clarkson so when I found out she had written a book with her son, I was interested.
From his early childhood, Nathan was bursting with creativity and uncontainable energy, struggling not only with learning issues but also with anxiety, ADHD, and OCD. He saw the world through his own unique lens―one that often caused him to be labeled as “bad,” “troubled,” or someone in need of “fixing.”

Bravely choosing to listen to her motherly intuition rather than the loud voices of the world, Sally dared to believe that Nathan’s differences could be part of an intentional design from a loving Creator with a plan for his life. She trusted that the things that made him different were the very things that could make him great.

Oh man, did this story resonate with me. It also gave me so much hope and encouragement. I have always known that God made Zachary different. But I also knew that those differences were the things that were going to set him apart and that God has a very special plan for our boy. Zach is my out of the box kid. The world may see him as needing more discipline or fixing but I see him as a strong, passionate, and focused man-in-the-making. Zach doesn't have all the issues that Nathan has but we as parents, know when one of our kids just doesn't fit the mold. The Lord made Zach exactly the way He wanted to and only he can fulfill the purpose the Lord has for him. I have the incredible privilege of raising and training him up.
Boy, do we love him like crazy!

Last, was God's Smuggler.


Tiffany Spencer said...

This iss awesome

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -