Who says it has to be itsy bitsy?

20 June 2013

ruche 06 Ruche Early Summer

It’s summertime again and that means it’s swim suit time. Don’t you just LOVE the suit above?!

I think it’s SO darling!

Prior to having kids and most importantly, prior to being a Christian, I wore a lot of bikinis. In some parts of the world, I even went topless (gasp!). In my 20’s, I wouldn’t even think about wearing a one piece or a modest looking swim suit. 

Listen, I’m not judging anyone here. I know many Christian moms who wear bikinis and have no problem doing so. For me, it’s a personal conviction that Christ put on my heart. We’re teaching our daughters about God’s word on inner beauty and why it’s important to save themselves for marriage. We’re striving to raise up counter-cultural young women who aren’t afraid to look different, for Christ. And the example begins with me.

For us, that means dressing modestly in our swim attire. No longer are tan lines (or lack there of) a priority. I realize, even in the Christian realm, “modesty” takes on different meanings for each family. We live in Southern California. We also live in the desert so that means 3/4 of the year, we pretty much live in shorts and a tank top. For some, that’s not modest. I get that.

My girls are the first to tell me when something’s a little too low cut or short on me. And I’m so thankful for that! They close their eyes when walking past a Victoria’s Secret store and they are uncomfortable with anything too revealing.

Is it just me or are little girls’ clothes becoming more and more skimpy? Do bikini tops for little girls really have to include fringe?  Do cheerleading uniforms have to show midriffs and the word “FIERCE” written across the chest?  

As a former self-reliant female, I think the feminist movement has done more harm than good. Showing more skin is not the answer to freedom and feeling more beautiful. Showing more skin is simply that, showing more skin. 

I came across this video and thought it was an interesting look into the evolution of swimwear. Praise God for this young woman’s entrepreneurial spirit and her desire to honor women’s bodies in God’s image.

Michelle M. said...

This is great Catherine! I couldn't agree more. This is also something I model and teach Hannah about.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -