Oats So Good!

20 February 2013

I've tried 3 new recipes this past week- all containing oats (and no dairy).  The first was this Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie.  This contains no added sweeteners yet it tastes just like a decadent dessert!  A little goes a long way because it's very rich.  I used rice milk for this recipe but you could use any kind of milk you have.
Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie
2 bananas sliced and frozen
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
3/4 cup milk of your choice

Put oats in blender and blend until they’re powdery. Add remaining ingredients and blend until there are no more chunks of frozen banana. Garnish with fresh banana slices if desired.
  
Pinned Image
Next, was this Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, made in the crockpot... Yes, please!  
I'm planning on taking this to our CBS brunch this week so naturally, I experimented on my family first.  Since I fall asleep pretty early at night, I didn't feel comfortable leaving the crockpot on for 8 hours.  I was afraid it would be a big ole pile of inedible mush by the time everyone was ready for breakfast.  My solution was to start the process at 5am.  I simply set the crockpot to high, instead of low.  It was ready by 8am and it made the house smell delicious!
Crockpot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
throw 2 diced apples, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour 2 cups of oatmeal and 4 cups of water on top. Do NOT stir. Cook overnight for 8 – 9 hours on low or 3 hours on high.    
As toppers, we added raisins and sliced almonds.  Yummy and oh, so satisfying!
Pinned Image
And then there were these...
My, oh my!  These were so tasty!!
I love the fact that you can customize this recipe to just about anything you have on hand. 
We used almond butter instead of peanut butter this time and added carob chips and craisins.  I love using carob as a treat.  It contains no caffeine.  And, you gotta love the fact this a NO BAKE recipe. These little guys are sitting in the fridge, just waiting to be popped in your mouth, as an afternoon pick me up.
No Bake Energy Balls 
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup almond butter (or other nut butter)
1/4 cup honey
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini carob chips or chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
Other mix-in suggestions:
raisins, craisins, chopped nuts, dried fruit like dates or apricots, wheat germ, etc.
Add nut butter, honey and some oatmeal and pour them into your mixing bowl.
Then add in a cup of coconut flakes and all your mix-ins.
Then add in a teaspoon (or two) of vanilla!
Mix it all up and let it chill in your refrigerator for about 30 mins.
Then roll into balls and enjoy your little bites of heaven…or energy.
Store the rest in an airtight container.
You know these are good when Morgan says, "I could eat these everyday." :) 
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -