{Easy} Calzones

27 June 2012

 I started with frozen, unrisen dinner rolls and let them sit for a few hours.  Fun to watch them rise! 




The filling is just ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, salt, pepper, and an egg (not pictured).




Mix the whole thing up and add some fresh basil.




Roll out the rolls!




Pretty thin.



 Then fill it with the cheese mixture and a few slices of pepperoni.




 Or some turkey sausage... or a combo of BOTH! (which is what I did for half of them)





 Get the kids involved, too!




They loved "painting" on the egg wash.




And crimping the edges.



Ready to bake!



At an Italian restaurant, I never order a calzone.  Not because I don't like calzones but because I'm never sure how thick the dough might be.  I'd rather taste more of the filling than have a heavy bread dinner, if you know what I mean. 

These Easy Calzones fit the bill nicely!  I loved how thin the dough came out!  The dough was super stretchy and moldable, too.  Plus, I love it when the girls ask me, "How old do I think we'll be before we can make this all by ourselves?" 

That's the reason why I post these recipes!  Someday soon, I know they'll be blessing us with their cooking!  And God willing, I pray these recipes will be used to bless their future family's as well.   

Anyway, aren't these cute?  The girls thought so.  They said they looked like half moons.  It's also fun that everyone gets their very own dipping sauce!  I should have taken a picture of this guy cut in half so the insides could've be seen but at this point, we were hungry and READY TO EAT! 

I would definitely make these again and try lots of different fillings.  Next time, I'm thinking spinach and artichoke.  Ooh, YUM!  A family winner, for sure!

Bake at 400 for approx. 10-12 mins.

Thanks for the inspiration, Pioneer Woman!
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -