Turkey Trot on El Paseo

26 November 2011

Turkey Trot 011

It was a beautiful and clear, 53 degree Thanksgiving morning.  Perfect for running (and window shopping down El Paseo).

 

Turkey Trot 006

 

Turkey Trot 009A

 

Turkey Trot 010

 

Turkey Trot 016

 

Turkey Trot 022A

Finished!!

I officially registered for the race 3 days before Thanksgiving.  That was the day before Morgan was hospitalized.  Up until the afternoon before the race, I wasn’t even sure if I was going to be able to run.  No big deal, I thought… I’ll just eat the $25 entry fee.  I guess the Lord knew all along, I was meant to run!

Since Morgan felt fine, he encouraged me to do it.  Somehow, I got very little sleep the night before…  I knew it probably wasn’t going to be my best run, but I’m also not one to waste $25 if I can help it.

When signing up, they advertised a “flat course”.  Yes, mile 1 was flat, down El Paseo.   But mile 2 was uphill!  Up Hwy 74!  I didn’t exactly train for an uphill run.  Thankfully, I made up some time going downhill and I ran my strongest on mile 3. 

Results:  Finished in 30:41.  I managed to run a 9:54 mile.  Surprisingly, my best time yet!  Under 10 min. was my goal so needless to say, I was very pleased.  Just another excuse to eat more stuffing, I say!!

On a side note, aside from the unexpected hill, I really liked this course.  I loved the fact that the streets were wide and there was virtually no crowding.  This Turkey Trot may just become a tradition every year!  Who knows?  Maybe I can even talk my family into running with me next year (smile)? 

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -