Learned Contentment

06 October 2011

The topic of contentment has been swirling around on my heart for many months now.  I’ve come to realize that contentment is a learned virtue.  Therefore, there is hope that I may just master it someday!  Today, I’m still learning. 

That doesn’t mean that I’m not grateful.  On the contrary, I know how incredibly blessed I am!  However, I am only human and therefore, prone to sin if I don’t take measures to diligently guard my heart.  As I reflect on my life, my circumstances, and my relationships, each new day becomes an opportunity to practice the rare Christian gem of truly being content. 

Have you ever noticed how discontentment can easily rob us of joy?  Have you ever left someone’s house and all of a sudden, you feel like you need to change everything about yours?  Or maybe even buy a new house?  How often have we seen someone who thought they could be happy if they could just have, or do, or be… only to experience disappointment, once gratified.

Contentment is not rooted in possessing or pleasure. 

Sadly, as Americans, we have a problem with contentment in our modern culture today.  Even more alarming, I’ve seen discontentment affect today’s youth.  When our young people are allowed to watch TV programs and movies depicting angst-ridden teens with coveting, lying, and manipulation as a normal way of life, it’s no wonder discontentment, comparison, melodrama, and just overall unhappiness begins to seep into our children’s hearts.  And don’t even get me started on the tone of voice of these kids on TV!  Sheesh! !  If you don’t believe me, watch an episode of the Disney Channel’s, Wizards of Waverly Place.  This particular show portrays the father as an buffoon, easily manipulated by his daughter and wife.    

What are we allowing our children to watch? And at such an early age?  Are parents even previewing these programs?  More than any other time in history, children are dealing with issues of depression, anxiety, and the inability to cope with life in the real world. 

We’ve allowed the media and advertisers to steal our joy by telling us what should make us happy.  We’re prone to think that bigger is better and more is… well, more.  All this perpetuates our insatiable desire to quench what cannot be quenched by the world or anything in it. 

The bible says, “Godliness with contentment is great gain" ~1 Timothy 6:6

In Phillipians 4:11-13, Paul talks about the secret to contentment. 

“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” 

I believe true Christian contentment is nothing more than believing, trusting, and being satisfied with God and His word.  Everything else we do and allow to creep into our lives, simply tries to take the place of that.

I realize this is easier said than done.  That’s why contentment is a learned process.  A true virtue that takes practice and intention.  When we desire true contentment, we rely and focus on the sufficiency of God’s unfailing and perfect Word.  In turn, that helps us to secure ourselves to the promises and providence of our Heavenly Father.     

Contentment can also be learned through struggle.  Once we struggle with something, we can often look back on the situation with greater perspective.  Maybe that’s the problem with today’s youth?  They’ve never had to struggle.  Why are parents finding it so hard to say NO?  Perhaps it’s just easier to say yes.  Perhaps they don’t want to be the “bad guy.”  Perhaps they, themselves, are struggling with envy or worldly issues?  I don’t know.

I just know that I’m a work in progress and unless I guard myself from the influences of modern culture, I’m leaving myself wide open for the sin of discontent.  Contentment requires submission.  It comes from learning to enjoy the things we have, rather than finding displeasure in what we don’t have.

“Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  ~Hebrews 13:5

My goodness!  How can we be discontent with a God who loved us so much that He would send His Only Begotten Son to die for us?  Maybe it’s because we don’t feel that our sins were that bad or maybe it’s because we fail to remember that His gift was so GREAT??  If we have trouble with such basic thoughts about the Lord’s love and faithfulness, we will never be content with God unless we truly submit and repent.  Only then, can we begin to experience the transformation of our minds and hearts.

Therefore, contentment can only come when we are able to recognize, "It is enough."

Join me, as I seek to pursue (and eventually master), this rare Christian gem worth pursuing.

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -