Trash or Treasure?

11 April 2011

15 awesome books for a total of $10.

8 of them are these Vintage Hallmark Pop Up books.

Incredible stories with intricate pop ups.

3 classic games- all for $5. Notice the "old school" boxes?
The Twister game was brand new.

2 beautiful "dress up" gowns for $1/each!

Jewelry not included. ;)

You know what they say... "One man's trash is another man's treasure!"

And where did I find all these (in my opinion) treasures? Well, at a garage sale, of course! I have to admit, before a month ago, I had never been to a garage sale to "shop" before. In the last month, I've been twice and both times, I've scored BIG time!

The first time was a couple of weeks ago when a big church, just down the street from us was having a huge sale. They were trying to raise money in order to send their choir to Carnegie Hall. I ended up getting a few fabulous holiday plates for $1/ea. Who wants to pay top dollar for a plate you use once a year? Not me!

Perhaps my best find that morning was 23 Christmas ornaments- all for $5. Most were vintage inspired and special in their own little way. Can't wait for Christmas this year!

The above pictures are of my bounty this Saturday. I'm espcially thrilled about the Hallmark pop up books. They are no longer in print and some of them are over 40 years old. Incidentally, I didn't go without noticing something that's 40 years old is apparently now called "vintage." I guess that makes me officially vintage! :) Anyway, I priced a few of them online and some are collectibles, going for between $10-$100. I ended up paying about .66 cents/ ea. for them.

And the princess gowns? Faith and Grace just mentioned to me last week how they needed to give away some of their dress up clothes because they were getting too tight. When I got home, I washed the "new to us" dresses right away and packed up their smaller clothes to pass along to one of their friends. You can't beat a ball gown for $1!

A garage sale certainly appeals to the frugal shopper in me. I enjoy the potential for surprise, the thrill of the hunt, and of course, the fact that I can end up paying only a fraction of the cost for something. In a way, it's sort of like recycling... or what I like to refer to as UPcycling! :)

I {heart} garage sales!
Hailey said...

TREASURE for sure!! great post!

RitzFamily said...

Such great finds! I too am falling in love with finding new treasures at garage sales. If you are getting rid of some of the girls dress up clothes. I'd love to buy some off of you for Aubrie. :)

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -