Sanctification through Motherhood

29 July 2010

"The challenges of raising a child are as much for the sanctification of the parents as they are for the benefit of the child."
~ Bryan Chapell, Holiness by Grace

I've always believed that motherhood is a special gift and privilege. To think about all that I've learned (and continue to learn) in my short time being a mom is not only humbling but also something that I'm extremely grateful for.

It got me thinking the other day...

Without my children, I would be incredibly selfish. When it comes down to it, we are all prone to live for our own desires and dreams. We are naturally wired to think about ourselves in a higher manner than we should; eventually, letting pride set in.

I began to wonder, "Why did God make women mothers in the first place?" We've heard the Jewish proverb, "God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers." Of course, God is everywhere but I understand what this warm and fuzzy proverb suggests. When I think about my own journey thus far, I keep coming back to one word, one reason why God allowed me to be the mother of my children. Motherhood, for all it's responsibilities and weight, is quite simply synonymous with the word servanthood. Yes, He wants me to raise up my children to serve the Lord and further His Kingdom but in the process, He's also working on changing this self-seeking heart, to a heart that's dedicated to service-- first to my family and then to others.

I immediately thought about the first woman and mother, Eve. She too, was self-seeking. She too, desired more than what she was given. She too, believed the lies that she heard. And she too, thought the grass was greener on the other side of the garden, so to speak. I wonder, "Did Eve think of motherhood as a gift or a punishment?" Make no mistake, God can turn our sins into something for His good and His glory.

Here's what I've come to know... Motherhood allows us, as women, the special privilege of learning to live a life that's dedicated to serving others.

Honestly, a life of service is probably something I would have never chosen for myself, especially during my pre-motherhood years. If I ever served someone in my past career, it would have most likely been for my own personal gain. When I think of the word service, I can't help but think about the One who ultimately came to serve.

Do you see the correlation here? Anything God can do to help us become more like Christ is a gift, not a punishment. This also rings true for the relationship we have with our spouses, not just our children. The faster we can embrace this fact, the quicker we are to enjoy the journey and open our hearts to the blessings and fulfillment that God has in store for us. God desires to bring us to completion. What better way to do that, than to give us plenty of opportunities to serve and have a heart like Jesus.
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -