books, books and more books...

04 March 2010

It's amazing how many more books you read in a day when you know that you have to return them in just two weeks. We have really been taking advantage of our local library over the last few months. We've been going every two weeks, happily picking out a new selection, and taking some time to read them quietly while we are there. Afterwards, we enjoy the beautiful and serene outdoor setting with the gorgeous mountains in the background. Today, after picking out our new treasures, the girls and I fed the ducks, walked around the lake, ate a snack, and sat on a bench to read some of our new finds. Nowadays, with the girls being a little older, they know exactly why we go to the library and what we do there. Sshhh, quiet please... In fact, as soon as we walked out today, they said,
"NOW WE CAN TALK NORMAL!"

Even though the girls have a bookshelf full of books in their room, it seems like the ones that we borrow get read more often. I know, it's probably the "new-ness" factor. I think we've read just about every Curious George book there is! We've also read stories about ballerinas, school, camping, the zoo, kites, counting, and this new one that we found today called, Bee Bim Bop. Bee bim bop is a traditional Korean dish that literally means, "mixed-up rice." It consists of a portion of rice, topped with meat, veggies, omelette style eggs (cut in strips), and Korean hot sauce. De-lish!
The upbeat and colorful story is about a young girl who can't wait for her mom to make bee bim bop. She is eager to help her in the kitchen and does so by setting the table. When dinner is finally ready, the rest of her family come to the table and say grace before eating- such a sweet surprise! In the back of the book, it even comes with the recipe and cooking instructions. Although I love to cook (and Lord knows that I love to eat), I've never really made Korean food. I usually leave that up to my parents and always ask for extras and leftovers. After reading this book all week, I may just have to try my hand at making this! You just gotta love books.
Hailey said...

Okay - so we've been checking out Be Bim Bop for over a year now and we love it. I think Vivien first loved how catchy saying the dish was. I always hoped to make the dish myself but was a little hesistant. I love that you found that book - it's so cute

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -